#28 Last Words

Hinata could only watch as Hiruzen dropped to his knees. Her eyes watered, as she looked at the person in the hokage's arms. Sinking to her knees, she couldn't even scream as she recognized Naruto with a massive wound in his chest.

Sobbing, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her, but all she could think off was that those weren't the arms she wanted to feel.

Meanwhile Onoki and his Anbu drove Orochimaru out of Konoha, causing the whole attacking force of Otogakure to follow their leader. When Onoki came back to the rooftop the first thing he saw was Kurotsuchi kneeling next to Hinata, who was still silently crying. Looking around his eyes went wide when he saw Naruto lying on the roof, blood still flowing from his wound. He had to bring up all of his self control to not break down at the sight, but he was able to keep his composure, instead just turning around and taking a deep breath.

"Naruto. It's been a while." A voice was heard through the darkness. Naruto looked around, finding himself inside a very familiar sewer system.

"Yes, it has." He replied as he made his way towards the place where the nine tailed fox had once been imprisoned. The cage had disappeared when Naruto had opened the seal and in its place stood a large forest. Kurama sat on the edge of the forest, looking at the blonde with worry in his black eyes.

"Why did you do it?" The fox asked, as Naruto sat down in front of him.

"I didn't want him to die. He is the closest thing to a father I ever had." Naruto said, looking down. He still felt the pain in his chest, but knew that in his own mind it wouldn't matter. He most likely was already dead and the only thing holding his soul in this world was Kurama.

"You know, that I can hear your thoughts right?" The orange being asked with a smirk on his face.

"But you are right, I am holding you here and don't think that I will let you go that easily. Have you ever thought about Hinata or Itachi, when you jumped in the way of that sword?" He continued.

With a sigh Naruto shook his head. He hadn't thought of them. "It was a split second decision, I saw a way to save someone and I did it." Naruto mumbled.

"I don't know what to do with you kit."

Naruto laughed at that, smiling at the giant fox with a hint of sadness in his eyes.

"Let me go, don't keep me alive and give Hinata hope. We both know that even you can't heal a body that has already died." Naruto said, earning a frown from his friend.

"I told you, I won't let you die so easily." Kurama scoffed.

"So, you are just gonna let me stay in a coma for god knows how long, until you can't hold me anymore?" Naruto asked, growing a bit frustrated. Kurama sighed, as he slowly stood up and looked at the forest, a frown making its way to his lips.

"There is one thing, I can do. However it isn't a sure thing." Kurama began as he shrunk to Naruto's size.

"There is a technique, similar to the healing jutsu used by Tsunade of the sannin or the second Hokage. It is supposed to be able to restart the heart of a Jinchuuriki after his biju was taken from him. Usually it needs at least five jonin to use this jutsu, since it takes so much chakra, but I think that I have enough chakra to restart your heart." Kurama explained.

Naruto's eyes went wide as he realized what Kurama implied. "I won't let you sacrifice yourself just so I can live." He said, earning a smile from the fox.

"Don't worry about me. I can't die, remember? I will just reform in a few years." Kurama said smiling, as he put his paw on Naruto's shoulders.

"What are four or five years compared to the thousands of years I already lived? And what are four or five of my years compared to your whole life?" He said, a smile on his face.

"I will miss this forest. But we will meet again and don't you dare to die before we do." Kurama said, as he readied himself for the jutsu he was about to do.

"I will miss you too. Thank you for everything." Naruto whispered as he put his arms around Kurama's neck, pulling the fox in for a hug.

Kurama slowly pulled himself out of Naruto's hug, a smile on his face as he closed his eyes to concentrate. Naruto did the same when he felt the pain in his chest starting to rise.

Hinata was broken. She sat next to the bed where Naruto's death had been pronounced by a medic nin. She just sat there, holding onto her lover's cold hand as she waited. She didn't know what she was waiting for, but she knew that she couldn't be anywhere else. She didn't have the energy to cry anymore so she just sat there, staring at the white blanket covering the corpse while she waited.

Suddenly her head jerked around as she thought she had felt the hand move, but everything was just as it was moments before. Looking around she saw the box of food her father had brought her after she had been here for the second night in a row. Hiruzen had brought a small bouquet of flowers when he visited, telling her that the funeral would be held a week from yesterday. She was just about to get up to eat something when she felt a giant burst of chakra come from Naruto's body.

Apparently she wasn't the only one since moments later, a medic nin rushed into the room, looking around with a shocked face.

"Where did that chakra come from?" He asked, Hinata only pointed to Naruto's corpse. She could see that the man didn't believe her, until another pulse came.

They both rushed to the side of Naruto, with the medic taking the white cloth away and checking the pulse.

Hinata watched with wide eyes as the wound on Naruto's chest closed further with every chakra burst. When it was closed completely the medic checked again for a pulse and to his surprise found that Naruto's heart was beating again.

This made Hinata cry again, although this time it was from joy.