EIGHT

~1987~

Abby sat in the car, staring at her house.

Mark tapped his thumbs on the steering wheel, blowing through his lips. "You know you don't have to go in there, right?"

"I know..." Abby undid her seat-belt. "But I want to make sure they're okay."

Mark nodded. "I'm just saying... if you want me to come in with you, I can."

Abby glanced over at the young police officer. He was definitely worried about her and didn't want her to go back to her place. Her heart was pounding furiously. He was just so attractive. It took her breath away.

"I-I'll be okay," Abby stuttered.

"I'm gonna stay here for a minute. If you think you don't want to stay any longer, just come back out and I'll take you back to my place. I'm sure Angel would be happy."

"Thank you Mark," Abby said.

"Of course," Mark replied.

Abby opened the car door, but Mark put his hand out and grabbed her arm for a moment. "Don't let them hurt you."

He's touching me.

"I won't. I promise."

He pulled his hand back and let her go, turning his blue eyes toward her front door.

She slammed the car door and tried to ignore the fact that Mark's eyes were on her.

She was about to walk through her front door when her dad suddenly stumbled outside. "Abigail?" He slurred. "Where have you been?"

Her cheeks burned from embarrassment. He was sitting right there, watching her father slowly and not so steadily make his way toward her.

"I was with Angel."

"Your mom and I were worried sick," he pulled her in for a hug, the alcohol on his breath almost unbearable. She recoiled, trying to push him away without being aggressive.

"I'm fine."

"Next time, you better tell us when you're leaving."

"I did tell you," Abby said. "But you were drunk-"

"Are you back-talking now?" Her dad asked. He pulled a canteen from his pocket and took a long sip.

"I'm just telling the truth," Abby said.

Her dad looked at her angrily and grabbed her arm with enough force to bruise her.

"Hey!" Abby shouted. "What the hell-?!"

"Why is he here? What have I said about him being here?!"

"Stop it dad! He was just giving me a ride home!" Abby cried out.

"Come on." Her dad began pulling her toward the house. She knew now that when she went inside, they'd get into a big argument. Her mom was arguably worse than her dad, and if she heard Mark had been around her again, she'd flip her lid.

"No dad, please stop!" Abby pleaded, trying to pull her arm from his grasp.

"Just wait until your mother hears about this. Are you two having sex? Abigail, he's an adult."

"Dad, no!" Abby groaned. His nails dug into her arm as he tried to pull her to the house.

She heard a car door slam.