THIRTY-TWO

Today was a busy day for Mark. 

He, Amanda, and even Gordon had to kidnap everyone in the games and set them up. On top of that, Mark had to be at the department with Strahm and Perez and Rigg until later at night. It was exhausting. 

By the time everyone was there and everything was set up, it was around midnight. Eric Matthews was still out and was suspended from the ceiling, above an ice block. Gordon was hurrying to make it look like Mark was tied up before Art Blank showed up to the building. 

The trap for Mark and Eric was as follows: 

If you were looking at the trap, Eric was suspended above an ice block to the left of Mark. When the ice block would melt, the water would run over to Mark, who was sitting in an electric chair. If the water level reached the wires, or Eric jumped off the ice block and the weight was shifted, Mark would get 'electrocuted'. 

The way for them to get out of the trap was Rigg. If Rigg didn't come through the door, Eric would survive, but if he did... it wouldn't end well for Eric. Two ice blocks were hanging from the ceiling as well, and if he came through the door, the contraption would be activated and the ice blocks would swing down and crush his head between them. 

It was gnarly. 

Art Blank would be overseeing the test. He wasn't exactly an apprentice, but since his own test, he had been made to help set up some of the traps. He would be freed at the end of the night, if Rigg passed. 

That was one of the traps. 

Amanda would be busy with John and Lynn Denlon, who was going to be doing surgery on John to try and keep him alive for a bit longer. As that was happening, Jeff Denlon would be going through and facing the people he blames for his son's death. His test was a test of forgiveness, and if he could let go of the anger he had been feeling for the past few years. 

Mark knew there were a lot of possibilities of things going wrong tonight, but he knew he'd have to deal with whatever the consequences were. After acting for two years, he had gotten good at covering his tracks and making sure no one suspected him. 

"Did you text Abigail?" Gordon asked him quietly as he tightened the restraints on his wrists. They would be easy to get out of, but that didn't mean they wanted it to look like they were. 

"I told her that tonight was a late night, and that I loved her," Mark replied. He was not happy about this. She was probably already worried. 

"She'll be relieved when you get back," Gordon said. "Ally knows I have really late nights so this isn't unusual for her." 

"I hate worrying her," Mark muttered. 

"It's only for a few hours. And she'll see you as a hero." 

Mark nodded slowly. "Do you think John is going to die tonight?"

"Based on his condition right now... yes, probably." 

Mark had already talked to John tonight. He was in horrible shape. He could barely breathe without an oxygen mask. Mark had gotten irritated with Amanda, who was always so emotional, and asked John what was going on with her. John pissed him off, saying that the only reason she could be emotional was because the police knew about her, but Mark couldn't be emotional because he was anonymous and couldn't show any involvement. It didn't make much sense to him. Then, John handed him a folder with some pictures and info on five people. 

Another game. 

He would have to set that up soon. The traps were basically set up already, but he had to add a few things.