FIFTEEN

8:00 PM, the night after Adam and Lawrence's test...

Hoffman was nervous heading back to Wilson's. He didn't know what to expect. Did someone die? Did both of them die? What if John died?

He pulled up to the back of the steel plant, looking around before stepping out of the car. He put his hands in his pockets as he walked up the steps and made his way through the back door.

Amanda was waiting for him.

"Hello detective," she said. She seemed to have calmed down since he last saw her.

"How did it go?" He asked as they walked side by side down the hallway. He glanced around, hiding his nerves as he waited for a response.

"You'll have to talk to John about it...it might have gone well, according to him."

Hoffman's phone buzzed.

Abby.

"Hello?" He answered, then suddenly realized his mistake. Amanda looked over at him, then seemed to tune in.

"Hey! What time are you gonna be home? I was gonna order takeout."

Hoffman's heart raced. "Um... can I call you back?"

"Oh, did I interrupt your work? Oh my God, I'm so sorry!"

He went to respond, but was interrupted.

"Say no more. I'll just pick something I know we both like. I'll talk to you later!"

She hung up before he could say anything.

He looked at his phone, then shut it and put it away.

"Who was that?" Amanda asked.

"No one," Hoffman grunted.

His phone buzzed again and he cursed, pulling it out once again.

She texted him.

Please be careful... <3

Hoffman stared at the text for a moment, then sent: I will.

"Someone really wants your attention," Amanda said curiously.

"Just work," he told her.

They joined John and a heavily injured man in a back room. Hoffman recognized the man to be Dr. Gordon, one of the people from the test earlier that day.

John was disinfecting the bloody stump where Gordon had cut off his right foot. Hoffman stared at his leg for a moment.

"Hoffman, this is Dr. Gordon," John told him. "Dr. Gordon, this is Detective Mark Hoffman."

Dr. Gordon was disheveled, pale, in pain, but he met Hoffman's eyes. Hoffman didn't think Gordon cared right now. "We're going to be taking care of Dr. Gordon until his leg is healed," John said.

"Why?" Hoffman asked.

"Because he passed his test. The least we can do is help him recover."

Amanda stood next to John. "Is there anything I can do?" She asked.

"Yes... call Jill for me, please. See if she can bring over some morphine."

Hoffman had never met Jill Tuck, but he had heard about her from John. He knew she ran something medical related, but the details were hazy.

"My family... they better be okay..." Gordon said weakly.