TWENTY-THREE

"The feds are onto you," Mark said as he sat on the edge of John's table, folding his hands together. "I don't know if doing another game right now is a good idea."

John took a sip of water before looking up at the skeptical detective. "I want them to find me."

Mark looked at him, dumbfounded. "What?"

"How will Detective Mathews' test work if he doesn't find me? They will find me, and Eric's game will begin."

Mark stared at John, dumbfounded. "You want to risk that? What about all of us? What if we get screwed over?"

"You won't." John sat back and crossed his arms. "Have I ever told you about Logan?"

"Who's Logan?"

"An old apprentice of mine. He was the first person who ever worked for me." John explained. "We've since gone our separate ways."

"Why did he leave?"

"Military. They deployed him a little before your time. He's moved on with his life. You will have that too. If you follow the rules."

"What does this have to do with the police finding out about me and possibly Amanda and Gordon?"

"If you follow the rules, you won't get caught. All I need from you is to help get everyone here, then you can leave. Nothing points to you. No one suspected Logan," John explained.

Mark sighed. "Alright. And you trust this Logan guy to keep your secret? And you didn't start this that long ago. How long did he work for you?"

"I trust him. And he started helping a little after Cecil. He left right before you built your pendulum trap. So not that long. I knew I couldn't go on without someone helping me, so in a way, I'm glad you brought yourself to my attention."

Mark said nothing.

The test they were about to conduct was big. There were many people involved, and now that Mark knew John wanted them to find him... the man was being perilous. Mark was queasy from nerves, but he didn't show it.

"I need you to find someone for me," John said. "A man by the name Michael Marks." John handed him a folder. Mark sifted through it, then looked at John.

"What did he do?"

"He's an informant for Eric Matthews," John explained. "He helps Eric put innocent people away."

"What are you going to do to him?" Mark's phone buzzed, but he ignored it.

"The venus fly trap."

Mark ran his tongue across his teeth, then stood. "When do you want him here?"

"In a few days. I'll let you know."

"Alright."

Mark walked away, running into Amanda as he tried to leave the room. She looked up at him. "Detective."

"Amanda."

She seemed annoyed at him, but he wasn't sure why. He suspected it was because he was talking to John. If anyone else talked to John she got jealous.

They slid past each other and carried on.

______________

There was a knock at the door.

Abby pulled the cookies out of the oven and quickly took her oven mitts off. "One sec!" She called out.

Abby hurried to the door and opened it excitedly. "Hi!"

"Hey hon," Jill said, smiling. She walked in and gave Abby a hug. "How are you feeling? I've been worried sick."

"I'm fine," Abby told her. "My leg is healing and it doesn't hurt much anymore."