THREE

6 days before the death of Seth Baxter...

The hotel Abby was staying at was across from a clinic.

She saw people going in there constantly, and the parking lot was always full. Back in the day, she would have debated going in there and seeing if they offered any over-the-counter prescriptions, but that time of her life had long since passed. Still, she was curious about the clinic.

It was about time for Mark to meet her.

Abby was still trying to wrap her head around the fact that Angelina was dead. She wanted to ask Mark more questions about it, but she saw how much it affected him. He still wasn't over it. She didn't blame him, of course.

Abby only had two outfits, so she picked the nicer of the two; a sweater and boot cut pants. She had to settle on her dirty tennis shoes because that's all she had, but that was okay.

She left her hair natural and put on some mascara and lip gloss. That was all she could really do right now. She hoped Mark wouldn't be embarrassed to be around her.

He was perfectly on time. There was a knock on the door at 5. Abby fixed her hair once more and opened the door.

Mark stood there, seeming much taller than she remembered.

"Hi! Come in," Abby said, smiling at Mark. She was shocked to see him clean shaven and in a suit. She felt extremely under dressed.

He did as she said. Mark seemed nervous and on the alert, as if he felt someone's eyes on him.

"Are you okay?" Abby asked.

Mark turned toward her.

"Yes, I'm fine," Mark responded. "Just had a long day at work."

"Oh..." Abby flashed her best smile as she grabbed her beat up wallet and stuffed it into her back pocket. "Well, we can talk about it while we drink coffee."

Mark nodded.

Abby hoped he was okay. "Shall we go?" She asked, looking at him with an enthusiasm that she had to force slightly. She didn't want to be the reason he got sad or upset. Your sister's murder isn't something you get over quickly, but he seemed to be a complete wreck, even with time having passed. She decided she couldn't show how sad she was because she didn't want to make him feel worse. Besides, he needed someone strong right now anyway.

Mark blinked and finally looked at Abby as if she was actually there. "Yes, let's go. Sorry."

"It's okay." Abby checked to make sure she had her room key, then led Mark out the door.

"How are you?" Abby asked, looking up at Mark. She knew the answer, but he lied anyway.

"I'm alright." He observed their surroundings, frowning slightly. "Abby, look at this place. It looks dirty and... like it's about to collapse."

She did look, then shrugged.

"I have nowhere else to go right now."

He didn't respond, but there were thoughts behind his blue eyes.

Mark opened the hotel door and let Abby exit first. She said thank you, then watched him as he held the door for an old woman.

He's so sweet.

Mark rejoined her, putting his hands in his pockets. "Alright, let's go get coffee."

Abby was not used to being around people who didn't see her as an object, or some sort of prize. As they walked down the street, Mark stayed on the inside, closest to the road, to ensure her safety. He talked to her with a soft voice, then even snapped at a man who'd run into her.