Gone Girl

"Chocolate or rainbow?" Jessica held up two containers of sprinkles.

"Both." Amber smiled sweetly.

"Should've seen that one coming," Jessica said to herself as she set the sprinkles down on the kitchen counter. She turned to the fridge and opened the freezer door to grab ice cream. 

This had become somewhat of a tradition in the Clark-Mitchell household. Since her brother's death, Jessica took yearly trips to Gotham on the anniversary to leave flowers at his grave. At some point, she and Beth would stay up late to talk and eat ice cream on Jessica's first night back. Now, Jessica spends this night making sundaes that could give anyone a cavity just by looking at them with Amber.

"Did you leave daffodils for Sam?" Amber asked. When Jessica and Beth explained to her why Jessica takes yearly trips to her hometown, she requested that Jessica bring daffodils to Sam's grave because, to her, they were bright, happy flowers.

Jessica nodded. "Of course." She set out every single container of ice cream she had in front of Amber. "So, what's this year's ice cream monstrosity gonna look like?"

Amber's eyes scanned over her options. "Cookies and cream, chocolate, rocky road, and..."

"You're going for four?"

"You're the one who said there's no rules on ice cream night.

"Well starting next year, there's a rule against you getting a sugar high and bouncing off the walls."

Amber shrugged. "Sounds like next year's problem." She pointed to an ice cream carton, finally deciding on her fourth flavor. "Peanut butter cup. Oh, and chocolate syrup."

Jessica sighed heavily. "I pity our dentist." She started scooping out the ice cream, stopping mid-scoop at the sound of glass shattering down the hall.

"What was that?" Amber asked, her head turned towards the source of the noise.

"I don't know." Jessica slowly opened the drawer next to her, retrieving the gun she kept hidden there. She gestured for Amber to move over to her side of the counter. "Get down, stay quiet, and be ready to call 911."

Amber followed her stepmother's instructions, sitting with her back against the kitchen cabinets and her phone gripped tightly in her hand.

Jessica held her gun up, the safety off, and inched toward the hallway. She had barely reached the corner when someone body-slammed her. She hit the ground hard, dropping her gun in the process.

"Amber, run!" Jessica shouted as she rolled over and reached under the living room couch for another hidden gun. Only someone grabbed her leg and dragged her away before she could actually grab it.

Jessica flipped herself around, using her other foot to kick her attacker's feet out from under him. He fell to the ground with a huge thud, giving Jessica just enough time to find the gun she'd dropped and snatch it.

"Hands up!" Jessia aimed her gun at her attacker. "You're under arrest."

"How are you gonna arrest me if you're unconscious?"

Before Jessica could respond, something sharp pierced her neck. The room started to spin and the man in front of Jessica became blurry. 

Despite how terrible the idea was, Jessica tried to shoot the assailant in front of her. To no one's surprise, each of the four bullets she fired missed.

Jessica stumbled, her gun clattering to the ground. "I'm gonna kill you."

The man chuckled. "Sure you will."