Slip-Up

Amber stood in the parlor of the Queen mansion, watching the news along with Moira, Walter, and Thea.

The news anchor was giving a report about one of the famous one-percenters refunding his company's pension plan.

Oliver came in right as the anchor reported that people suspected that the man was antagonized by the vigilante before refunding the plan.

"This guy gets more air-time than the Kardashians, right?" Oliver asked jokingly.

"Five years on an island and you still know who they are." Thea sassed.

"I've been catching up, it's nice to see how much our culture has improved while I was away."

Amber snorted. "If you think that's bad, you should google conspiracy theories."

Oliver shot his daughter a confused look.

"Just do it," Amber told him.

"Well, just like our culture, the city used to be different," Moira jumped in. "People used to feel safe."

"Aw, what's the matter, Mom?" Thea asked. "Afraid we're gonna be next?"

"Do you have any questions about today, Oliver?" Walter turned to his stepson, changing the subject. "It's a simple proof-of-life declaration. You just read out a brief prepared statement to the judge and then your death-in-absentia judgment will be voided."

"It's fine, Walter, I've been in a courtroom before."

"Four times by my estimate." Tommy entered the room. "You know, there was the DUI, the assault on that paparazzi douchebag, stealing that taxi. Which was just awesome, by the way. And who could forget peeing on the cop?"

"I wish everyone would," Moira said.

Amber cringed. "That's disgusting."

"It was also a long time ago." Oliver sent a discreet glare to Tommy.

"But still hilarious." Tommy failed to notice the annoyance in Oliver's voice.

"Well, I'd hang, but we're headed to court."

"I know," Tommy said. "That's why I'm here, my best friend is getting legally resurrected I wouldn't miss this for the world."

"Okay. What about you two?" Oliver asked Thea and Amber.

"Uh, I think the first four times of you in court was enough for me." Thea sassed.

"Fair enough," Oliver said.

Moira looked over to Amber. "Well, Amber, are you coming?"

"No, I'm with Jess today," Amber answered.

"Right." Moira nodded. "Well, you two have fun then."

With that, everyone bid goodbye as they separated to carry out their individual plans for the day.

* * *

After a long day with Jessica, Amber returned to the Queen Mansion with a mission to get herself food from the kitchen.

But, as she passed the parlor entrance, she heard part of a conversation.

"I hired you to protect my son," Moira scolded. "Now, I'm not a professional bodyguard but it seems to me that the first requirement would be managing to stay next to the man you're hired to protect."

"With all due respect, ma'am, I never had a client who didn't want my protection," Diggle said.

"I hired you. That makes me the client. Now, where do you think my son is going on these chaperone-less excursions?"