A Father-in-Training

On her way out of the Queen Mansion, Jessica spotted Oliver, who was just turning into his room.

"Oliver," Jessica called.

"Jessica." Oliver turned toward the detective. 

Jessica sighed, already annoyed with him. "Look, there's a lot of things I'd like to say to you but I know that anything I do say will just go in one ear and out the other. So, here." She pulled an envelope out of the inner pocket of her leather jacket, handing it to Oliver.

"What's this?"

"A letter. From Beth." Jessica informed. "She wrote one to you before the whole shipwreck, deserted island thing."

"Why?"

"I don't really know." Jessica shrugged. "But I do know that Beth was very good with words and she knows what it's like to be surprised by a kid. Maybe she can get through to you from beyond the grave." She patted Oliver's shoulder and left.

Oliver turned into his room and sat down at his desk. He stared at the envelope in thought. There were a million questions he wished he could ask Beth. Unfortunately, it's kinda hard to communicate with the dead. But Oliver was scared about what answers he may find in the letter's contents.

After a few minutes of mental debate, Oliver ripped open the envelope with a sigh of defeat. HE pulled out the letter and began to read.

Oliver,

I hope you never have to read this letter. I hope that one day I get the courage to finally walk up to you and tell you the truth. But the future promises nothing so I need to cover all my bases. So here goes nothing, I guess.

We have a daughter. Her name is Amber. She makes jokes to avoid awkward silence. She's curious and dramatic. Sometimes I think she may be curious to a fault. Just like me.

 I don't know how old Amber will be by the time you might be reading this. For your sake, I hope she isn't a teenager. There's no easy age in parenting but at least, if she's younger, it will be easier for you two to connect. 

I know this is a lot and I understand that you'll have questions. Everyone will. Amber can answer all of them. She'll just need time. In the meantime, protect her. Please.

- Beth

Oliver sat back in his desk chair once he finished reading the letter. For such a short letter, Beth was able to explain herself quite well. She got too deep into something dangerous and paid the highest price. Now Amber had to keep growing up without her mother. But at least she still had her father. Sort of.

"Damn it." Oliver sighed, getting up from his chair and walking over to his daughter's room.

Turns out Jessica was right. It didn't matter what she would have said to Oliver, he never would have listened. Beth, on the other hand, easily changed his attitude with a little letter written years ago.

"Hey." Oliver knocked on Amber's doorframe. "Can we talk?"

"Are you actually asking?" Amber kept her eyes focused on her tv.

"No," Oliver answered honestly.

"Then, sure." Amber paused her game, finally making eye contact with her father. "We can talk."

Oliver sat down across from Amber on an ottoman. "I'm sorry for what I said earlier at the company. I didn't mean it."

"Then why say it?" Amber asked. She didn't really sound upset or hurt. If anything, her tone was curious and confused.