Christmas (And Hannukah)

Amber sat in a booth at Big Belly Burger with Oliver and Thea. She sat on the inside, next to her father and across from her aunt.

The whole restaurant was adorned with Christmas decorations, reminding Amber that she would have to endure the holidays without her mother. Again.

"I think there should be a national holiday for the guy who invented french fries," Thea said as she dipped one in ketchup. "Or at least a statue or something."

"There is no Christmas party, is there?" Oliver asked, referring to a conversation he had with Thea the previous night. His sister looked down in response. "Thea, Dad threw one of these every year. Do people think I just wasn't gonna notice?"

Thea straightened up, trying to think of something to say when she was luckily distracted by a young man coming up and greeting her.

"Hey, Thea."

"Ooh, boyfriend," Amber whispered when she saw her aunt's grin. Thea sent a discreet glare before putting her attention back on the guy.

"Hi. Shane." Thea smiled. "Uh, this is my brother, Oliver, and my niece, Amber." She introduced.

"Nice to meet you, Thea's brother and niece," Shane said in a way that made Amber roll her eyes. He was just given their names and couldn't be bothered to use them. "I bet the food on that island's better than the stuff they're serving here, huh?"

"You'd lose that bet." Oliver gave Shane a look that, if he'd paid attention, would've made him back away in fear.

Instead, Shane turned almost immediately to Thea. "We're heading down to the bay to hang out if you want to come."

"Thanks. But, uh, I'm spending the afternoon with my brother and niece." Thea glanced between Oliver and Amber, who smirked at Shane.

"Another time." Shane started walking away. "See ya."

Oliver turned to Thea. "How do you know that Shane guy?"

"We rob banks and smoke crack together." Thea joked.

"That's funny, Thea." Oliver scoffed. "I have a feeling I'm not gonna be a fan."

"You don't even know him," Thea argued.

"Well, technically he did just meet him." Amber pointed out.

"I didn't ask for your input." Thea waved a fry at her niece. "Let's change the subject."

"Fine." Oliver obliged. "You were gonna tell me why we're not having the annual Christmas party."

Thea sighed, sitting back in the booth. "When you and Dad disappeared... by the time Christmas rolled around none of us felt much like celebrating so we kind of skipped Christmas that year. Every year. And it's really fine, so..."

Oliver shook his head. "No. No, it's really not."

Amber glanced discreetly at her father. She could tell he had an idea brewing. She just hoped it wasn't gonna be Christmas.

* * *

"We're celebrating Christmas," Oliver announced to his family.

Amber inwardly rolled her eyes. Of course, he wanted to make a big deal about the holiday season.

"I went five years without it, and then Thea tells me that you guys didn't have it either and I'm the reason. So maybe now I can be the reason we have Christmas again."

Walter and Moira exchanged unreadable looks.

"I thought I would throw the Queen Christmas party," Oliver said.