TWENTY-TWO: Dinner

When it comes to Tony Stark, first of all you must remember he is not only a millionaire, but a billionaire. Before living full time in the facility, he also owned a mansion in Malibu which, when it blew up, didn't even dent his pocket when he repaired it and sold it on to move to New York, leaving his West Coast lifestyle behind him in the past. Then there is also the fact he is the main source of income for everything to do with the Avengers, as his credit cards paid every expensive bill for the facility.

So it was no surprise when the car that had come to collect Peter, May and I from Queens stopped in front of one of the most expensive looking restaurants in New York. Of course I had walked (and swung by) this restaurant on multiple occasions, and me and Peter had always mocked the people who went in for being those with "too much money to know what to spend it on".

Little did we know we would soon become one of those people honoured to dine inside.

"Look who the posh twats are now," Peter reads my mind as we clambour out of the car, thanking the driver politely.

"Peter," May scowls as she stands besides us. She was trying to be annoyed with him, but I could tell she was in awe of the restaurant like us, but also nervous to meet Steve and Tony for the first time properly, "Are you sure Tony said he'd pay for our meals? Because I don't want to put him out of his way-"

"May, this is Tony Stark we're talking about! Even if we spent a million dollars on this one meal alone, which we won't, it wouldn't even cause a dent in his pocket," I remind her as the car that had chauffeured us drove away, leaving the three of us stood outside of the restaurant, kind of feeling out of place but at least looking the part.

"Even so... I have a feeling a glass of water will cost me a years rent..."

We had spent today before the meal going around New York finding ourselves our evening meal outfit to wear, since we all knew Tony would bring us to an expensive restaurant that we definitely did not own the appropriate clothes for. Whilst Peter was wearing a white shirt under a navy blue suit jacket and matching navy blue trousers and brown shoes, I was wearing an emerald green dress that stopped half way down my thigh and had long sleeves, and May wore a burgundy dress that stopped below her knees.

"Looking good, Parkers," We turn around to see Tony and Steve get out of the car they had been driven in. Myself and Peter said a quick hello to Happy who was sat in the driver's seat as we had anticipated, before he drove off somewhere in preparation to pick the pair up once we had finished.

They too were dressed up, Tony in a typical black suit, and Steve wore a burgundy velvet suit which matched Tony's tie. Myself and Peter exchanged looks, impressed by their attire. We were used to seeing Tony scrub up into formal suits, but Steve not so much. And to see him matching with his boyfriend, it was fun to see as the five of us made our way to the entrance of the restaurant together, Steve of course making a remark to May about them wearing the same colour and one of them needing to change. That seemed to ease May's nerves as we were seated at our table in record speed (another perk of being with Tony Stark).

It didn't feel as awkward as I had anticipated the evening feeling, and that I was glad about as the waiter approached and filled each of our glasses with champagne, except for mine and Peter's since the waiter had obviously been informed (or could tell) we were underaged.

"I've got to say, May, you've done well looking after such fascinating kids," Tony tells May with a smile, making me and Peter blush out of embarrassment as Tony continued to praise us, "I mean when I saw Spiderman was a 15 year old and was able to do what he was doing, I was impressed, let alone not knowing he had a twin sister doing the same thing."

May laughed, "Yes, I was rather shocked myself when I found out only a few days ago about these two being a lot more than I had realised..." she paused for a second, "Their parents were ambitious and wanted these two to do well, and had plans of sending them to the best schools to ensure they succeeded in life. So when they passed away and myself and my late husband were made their carers, we decided to carry their ambition forward. That's why they attend Midtown, as I knew it was one of the schools their parents had mentioned."

Talking about our parents was a sore spot as it was, and if I had a glass of champagne to my name, this would have been the point I would have taken a large chug of it to ease my nerves. I know they died when Peter and I were 6 years old, but talking about them made me feel uncomfortable because I just couldn't really remember them. I mean, they were mine and Peter's parents - they were meant to be the most significant people in our lives and influence everything we ever did and how we grew up. But I can't even remember what their voices sounded like, or what their footsteps sounded like approaching my room in the middle of the night. It was the little things - they were a part of my life which I was forgetting about and I felt utterly guilty about that.

I had odd memories, but nothing that stuck. And that really bothered me, especially when May would talk about them so fondly. After all, our Uncle Ben was our dads brother, that's why we were passed onto them when they died, so obviously they knew one another... I had discussed all of these feelings with May, who simply told me it would be natural to forget details about my parents since I was 6 when we lost them. But still, the guilt continued to sit within me even when I tried to argue my way out of it.

Clearly noticing how my attitude had changed once our parents were brought up, Peter quickly decided to change the topic around the table to something more uplifting, "So... what's everyone having?"

Of course everyone noticed Peter's obvious desire to change the subject and jumped on the bandwagon stating the food items they were planning of ordering. Again Tony clarifying the meal was "on him and for people to get whatever they wanted", which me and Peter intended to do (to a certain extent).

Once we had ordered our food, the topic then switched to May asking Tony about the things him and Peter did in the lab the months they knew one another before I had been introduced into the mix. Tony calmly responded and informed May about their months of developing upgrades to his suit as well as running constant trials on it to ensure it was up to standard it was needed.

"Of course, I was unaware these suits were also being used by the little miss sat opposite me also," Tony smiles at me as he drags me into the conversation again, "No wonder Karen was struggling if she had two different people feeding her input-"

"Stupid technology, I thought it was meant to be smart," I comment, causing Steve to laugh from where he was sat.

Myself and Steve had often discussed the excessive use of technology used by Tony and Peter whilst we trained in the arena. We were both under the impression that any fight could be won with a few tactical punches, and maybe a bit of webbing on my half since, after all, that was my gimmick as Spidergirl. But the use of drones and excessive tech that Karen could feed throughout the mask, we both agreed was a "little bit extreme."

"Just because you're old fashioned and don't appreciate tech," Peter rolls his eyes at me, making me roll my eyes and hit him playfully, causing the two of us to giggle and get a few looks from some older people sitting at another table.

"Behave you two," May warns us, causing us to try and hold in our loud outburst of laughter more so, though she too was smiling along with Tony and Steve, who too were apparently finding the situation funny.

The rest of the dinner was spent discussing the antics inside of the facility, as well as annoying the same old couple table sat across from us, who gave us looks every five minutes repetitively. Besides, it wasn't like the staff would ever do anything to stop our tables antics; we weren't being impolite, just chatty. Plus we had Tony Stark sat at our table along with Steve Rogers, so who would want to try and argue with two well known Avengers unless you were a villain?

Definitely not the underpaid waiters, especially since it was common knowledge that Tony Stark always gave extremely high tips which would help them a lot.