SIX: Telling May

"So, things to do today. Number one, we tell May somehow we are actually both superheroes and your Stark Internship is a cover up for you developing Spiderman suits. Then number two, we go to the Avenger's facility and complete whatever tasks Mr Stark wants me to do there, as well as maybe find out answers as to why I wasn't mentioned in your file."

Now we had both woken up from our sleep (though I barely slept due to my mind racing with thoughts), myself and Peter were dedicated to finish the list of things to do we had set up for ourselves to achieve before Happy turned up at 5 o'clock outside the apartment to drive us to the facility. Of course I was nervous for the entire day ahead, especially the part when we would have to tell May the truth, but me and Peter knew it was time to do it, as Steve had told us earlier.

"Well it is currently 10.58 on a Saturday, so we have roughly 6 hours to make a plan, do it, and be ready for Happy at 5... that sounds about doable, right?" Peter questions, grabbing a notebook off of his desk via the webbing in his web shooter along with a pen as he sat crossed legged in the middle of his bed whilst I sat on the desk chair Mr Stark had been sat on last night when I met him for the first time.

It all still felt unreal and a dream that it all happened.

By the time it was noon, me and Peter had already had a grand total of 10 coffee's between us (6 for me, 4 for him), and a page in Peter's notebook with various ideas written down and then a few scribbled out due to them being either too adventurous or just too plain stupid to actually achieve.

"I honestly just think we should just go to her, bring her to the living room and say it," Peter tells me with a sigh, "It's quick, hassle free, and if things go well, we can have a big family hug and maybe go get thai-"

"And if it goes badly?" I queried, as I move from sitting on the desk chair to sitting on the edge of the bed Peter was still sat on.

"We can buy plane tickets to England and move away from Aunt May and all of our problems," Peter jokes, causing me to laugh aloud too, "But seriously, I'm not too sure really what we can do if May takes this badly... I guess we just hope she comes to terms with it in the end and just lets us carry on being who we are?"

I could tell Peter too was getting nervous with the prospect of telling May the truth - after all, May was the one who had brought us up since our parents died along with Uncle Ben, and then when he died too, she had to be there for the two of us as well as trying mourn herself. Looking back, I wished I had the knowledge I did now, knowing that it wasn't just myself who was devastated and utterly distraught over Uncle Ben's death... but that was all in the past now. And with May being the last remaining family I had alongside Peter, I just begged she would be accepting of the truth.

"Speaking of bad things," Peter brings me back into the room since I had obviously zoned out, "How's the wound of yours? Still bleeding?" I laugh at his sarcasm before reaching back, grabbing one of the pillows off of his bed and hit him over the head with it, "I'm only being kind! That was an unnecessary attack!"

"Oh shut up," I smirk, putting the pillow back near-ish to where I had grabbed it first, "And it is fine, thank you. Bit painful if I pull it but other than that, it's no longer bleeding and perfectly fine. Some would say I have superhuman healing abilities which are helping."

"I still think we should tell Mr stark about it," Peter tells me, making me roll my eyes, "I'm being serious! That bank robbery could have gone horribly and we have no idea who could have been behind it!"

"Pete, you got worse injures fighting Cap alone last year," I remind Peter, "And besides, the police are dealing with the whole thing now. Besides, I doubt it goes as deep as you're making it out to be; it just seemed to be 3 guys who opted for the wrong night to try and earn some illegal money."

"Police-shmolice. They only know they tried to rob a bank, not that they attempted to kill you in the process," Peter mumbled.

"We don't know they were trying to kill me-"

"They tried to stab you with a knife? Pretty sure that's the definition of trying to kill you?"

"Whatever," I roll my eyes and get up to look towards Peter, my back facing the door, "Look all we have to focus on now is how we tell May that we, together, have actually been fulfilling the role of Spiderman for the past year and a half without hurting her feelings-"

"WITHOUT hurting my feelings?!" The sound of May's voice from behind me made me scream and jump forwards whilst turning to look at her, "What the hell do you mean without hurting my feelings?!"

"May!" Peter stands up next to me where I was still trying to get my heart rate to slow down from the shock of her entering the room all of a sudden, "We can explain!"

"Oh go on then!" May responds, crossing her arms across her chest as she switched from looking between myself and my brother, "Explain to me why you kept this a secret for such a long time? Explain to me why you didn't tell me when this very first happened? Explain to me why you go willingly into danger when I strictly have told the two of you to stay out of it!"

"We got these powers for a reason, May. Sure, it was some spider on a school trip that happened to bite the two of us... but none the less we can't just ignore them!" Peter tries to argue, though his voice has raised in slight pitch indicating he was really nervous about our 'plan' which wasn't even a plan anymore, "And we wanted to keep it from you because we weren't sure how you would react to it all and-"

"So that whole 'Stark Internship' is a load of crap too?" May questions, "The whole 'I went to Ned's for some reason' last year was false and you were actually in Germany in that war?" her attention turned to me, "And you sat there next to me on that sofa fully well knowing it was your brother being tossed around that airport by Avengers?! Alex how could you?"

Instant regret of not telling May sooner filled my gut, and I knew it filled Peter all the same. At this moment in time I wanted to move forward and give May a hug, tell her I was utterly sorry for everything we had done and hope that she would forgive us back. But by the way she was stood back, eyes still wide and arms close to her chest and slightly paler than usual, I refrained from doing so and continued to stand still besides Peter.

"May, listen-" Peter goes to step forward, but May takes a step back herself, making Peter freeze, "May?"

"Do you know how many people in this family I have been told have died? I have lost everyone apart from you two, and I swore to your parents I would protect you no matter what. And now you're telling me that, behind my back, you have been risking the lives I swore to protect just so you can make the world a 'better place'?" She was hurt, really hurt, as she shook her head one more time at us, "I suggest the two of you go out and do whatever you do when you sneak out apparently, and come back later once I have processed all of this."

She left the room, leaving myself and Peter stood in the middle of the room, filled with guilt and dread.

"Should I book those tickets for England now?" Peter comments, looking at me with a small smile as he attempted to make the situation we just witnessed a funnier.

We had tried to protect her from us, but in the end all we had done was cause more damage in the long run. And we may have just ruined the relationship between the three of us, the only family we had left to depend on.

"Yes please."