Chapter 6

A/n: Hello everybody! Todaqy is December 26, 2020. Happy Hannukah (although I'm ages late), Merry Christmas (still late), and Happy Kwanza!! I hope everyone had pleasant holidays, I know I did. Now that we're in the post-Christmas, pre-New Year's slump, I'm hoping to get the usual updates out for my books, as well as (hopefully) some stuff out on my imagines book, which no one is requesting on sadly. Go request on it! please im desperate i'll literally write anything you want (as long as its in my list of fandoms which is long)

Y/n walks out of her and Katniss's shared bedroom with a hard look on her face, her jaw set tightly. Effie shrinks at the sight of the girl. "Hey, sweetheart!" Haymitch calls out. "I don't know why you're so pissed, but that's not gonna work in training today if you want allies."

Katniss strolls out behind Y/n, tugging on her intricate braid. "Shut up, Haymitch. You should know us better by know."

Y/n slows and wraps an arm around Katniss's waist. Together, they walk off to the designated training room. When they enter, they find all the other tributes dressed in similair body-con track suits, each with their own District's color.

They all group together as one of the leaders, Portia, begins a speech about techniques and skillsets.

\--/

Y/n, Katniss, Effie, and Haymitch are all grouped in their penthouse, eating a large feast set out for them. "Cato's a career. You know what that is?" Haymitch asks.

"From district 1," Y/n says.

"And 2. They train in a special academy until they're eighteen then they volunteer, by that point, they're pretty lethal."

"But they don't receive any special treatment. In fact, they stay in the exact same apartment as you do. And I don't think they let them have desert, and you can," Effie says with a proud smirk, as if what she says helps.

Y/n looks at her as if she just spook in tongues then continues. "So how good are they?"

"Obviously they're pretty good. They win it almost every year, but..."

"Almost," Effie interuppts.

Haymitch rolls his eyes. "They can be arrogant, and arrogance can be a big problem." He turns to Katniss. "I hear you can shoot."

"I'm alright," she shrugs.

Y/n scoffs. "She's better than alright, I've lived with her almost all my life. She hits animals right in the eye every time for a clean cut and a painless death."

"Y/n is good with swords and knives. She can throw a knife almost a hundred yards, I've seen it."

"Knives are difficult to come by, and we don't even know what the territory looks like. Who's to say I won't hit a tree or something?"

"No, but you might have a better chance of winning if somebody comes after you and you can fight back at a close distance."

Y/n slams down at the table, standing up abruptly, overrun with painful emotion. "I have no chance of winning! None! Alright? It's true. Everybody knows it. I will do anything," her voice cracks, "and I mean ANYTHING to save you, Katniss, okay? Only one of us is coming out of this alive and I will do everything in my power and more to make sure it's you."

Katniss looks away, ashamed and scared, as the table goes quiet. 

"I'm not very hungry," Y/n says, leaving the table.

Katniss pushes away. "I'm done too."

Y/n quickly scampers away into the elevator, pressing a button and heading to the very top of the building. When she reaches the top, she slowly walks over to the edge, running her fingers along the cement cracks.

 When she reaches the top, she slowly walks over to the edge, running her fingers along the cement cracks

Standing up on the edge, she closes her eyes and breathes in deeply, swaying slightly. The bright lights of the city continue to flash through her eyelids. The sound of the elevator door startles her and Y/n tips, coming close to falling over the edge if it weren't for a hand wrapping around her wrist and throwing her back to the solid roof.

"Y/N, WHAT WERE YOU DOING?! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WERE ABOUT TO KILL YOURSELF!" Katniss sobs, clinging to Y/n tightly.

"I- I wasn't about to kill myself. I was taking in the view and breathing when you scared the life out of me, Katnip."

"You... you weren't going to jump?"

"No."

"Good."

"Katniss, you need to understand that what I'm doing is for you. So you can go home and see Prim and Mom and Gale again. We can't go on, but you can. And you will. But rest assured, no one is going to take my life away from me, except me."