Chapter 17

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is February 11th, 2021. I really want to apologize for the last chapter, but all the comments have been SUPER supportive, and for that I am so grateful. We still have one, maybe two more chapters left, so don't go anywhere! Also, for the very last chapter, at the end I will be announcing my new stories!

The next few hours fly by Katniss' and Rue's mind in a blur. They get picked up and get sent back into the penthouse. They are all cleaned up and their wounds are healed. Katniss just stands there while the stylists hose her down, numb to everything but Y/n's face. She looks down and watches Y/n's blood swirl down the drain.

She's wrapped up in a fuzzy gray robe and sent back to the penthouse, where Rue is sitting on the couch with her head in her hands. Katniss sits down beside her and rests her head on her shoulder. The door opens and Haymitch walks in.

Katniss stands up quickly. Haymitch looks at her with such a face of sorrow, she bursts into tears. He walks over and hugs her, letting her weep into his chest. "Why didn't you protect her?" She sobs.

"It's not what she wanted, sweetheart," he responds softly. Katniss wipes away her tears and sits down, Haymitch across from them in a white armchair. "They're not happy with you two."

"Why? Because I didn't die and Y/n did?" Katniss asks, glaring at him through her puffy red eyes.

"Because you showed them up. You saved a girl from District 11 instead of your girlfriend." He looks at Rue. "No offense to you, kid."

"Well, I'm sorry it didn't go the way they planned. I wish it did! You know, I'm not very happy with them either," she spits.

"Katniss, this is serious. Not just for you. They don't take these things lightly. And the Districts...they're upset. Really upset. Things aren't looking good."

\--/

"When they ask, you say you didn't know. You...you didn't think she was serious. You were so in love with this girl. You understand?" Haymitch directs as Katniss and Rue sulk before their interview with Caesar Flickerman.

"It's the truth," Katniss mutters. Caesar announces Rue and Katniss and they are ushered onstage. 

Neither of them smile, and Caesar continues his bright, flashy grin, but it's clear he's become uncomfortable. "Hello, hello girls! May I just say, it is so nice to see you two, and you both look so beautiful!"

"Thank you, Caesar," Rue says. Katniss mentally thanks her, knowing the innocence of a 12-year-old will probably save the both of them.

They go through the basic interview questions, how do they feel, what was it like. Then they get to the questions about Y/n, which was inevitable. "How did you feel when you found Y/n after her being stabbed?" Flickerman asks thoughtfully.

"I felt terrified. I couldn't imagine life without her," Katniss says quietly. Rue reaches over and slips her hand into Katniss' hand, squeezing softly.

Caesar turns to her. "And what about you, Rue?"

"Y/n saved my life. And I guess I saved hers, too."

"We all saved each other," Katniss says, smiling a little bit at Rue. The audience croons sweetly at this.

Caesar stands up, waving his arms triumphantly. "Ladies and gentlemen, the new sisters, from Districts 11 and 12. This year's victors of the 74th annual Hunger Games!"

\--/

Katniss groans and collapses into the bed at the penthouse. She grabs the pillow beside her and pulls it up to her, curling around it. Y/n slept with that pillow before they got sent into the Games. Thinking of cuddling with Y/n, Katniss somehow finds peace and is able to slip off into sleep.

It seems only a few minutes pass by before she opens her eyes again. When she does, she realizes she is no longer holding the pillow. She's holding Y/n. She yelps and scrambles away. Y/n turns on her side and grins at her. "Hi, bug."

"Wha- how are you here? I'm dreaming, right?!" Katniss exclaims.

Y/n laughs. "Well, of course you're dreaming, but you called out for me, so I came." Her face turns stoic and she reaches out for Katniss.

Katniss apprehensively takes her hand and flinches. "You're cold."

Y/n tilts her head. "Am I? I  haven't noticed." She looks at Katniss. "I'm not in any pain, you know. The wound is still there, but it's more like a tattoo. A reminder."

Katniss lets out a little whimper, her tears soaking the sheets. Y/n reaches up and wipes the tears away. "Don't cry for me. There's nothing to cry about. I'm happy! Heaven, or whatever this place is, is beautiful. There's so many trees, and ponds and lakes everywhere. When you die, which cannot happen anytime soon, mind you, you will love it."

Katniss gives her a little watery smile. "And I think you'd like to know that I met your dad," Y/n lilts.

Katniss stares at her. "What?"

Y/n nods. "When I first died. I opened my eyes and found myself sitting against a huge tree. And in front of me was your dad. And my parents." She smiles softly. "They explained what happened, and your dad told me he was happy we found each other. He was just sad to see us torn apart."

Katniss cries a little harder, which makes Y/n gently lay her down so her head is in her lap. Her fingers begin pulling through her brown hair like they've done so many times before. "Then they showed me how I could check in on you. I've seen practically everything. Thank you for taking care of Rue."

"It's, it's what you wanted," Katniss sniffles. "Can my dad visit me?"

"No," Y/n responds softly, flipping pieces of hair over and weaving through the half-made braid.

"Why not?"

"Because you already put him to rest. I'll only be able to visit you until you bury me, or cremate me or whatever. Then I'll be able to move on. And you will, too."

"I don't want you to go," Katniss begs.

"I've already gone, lovie. I don't want you to wallow for the rest of your life. I want you to be happy, find love again, whenever that may be," Y/n says, tying a strond of hair around the end of the braid.

"Can you stay with me until I wake up?" Katniss asks quietly.

"Of course," Y/n whispers. She draws Katniss into her arms and holds her tightly until her breathing slows. Y/n smiles softly at her and shimmers away.

The next morning, Katniss wakes up and traces her fingers over her head. A tightly woven braid still remains.

not me making myself cry-