Chapter 8

y/n is wearing this but a flowy a-line version of it

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is January 12, 2020. I don't have too much to say, but I would really like to ask people to request on my Imagines book. Requests, or really any form of interaction, makes me feel SO good and I hope that I will see a request on there soon!

Katniss shifts her weight from foot to foot. Y/n comes up behind her and squeezes her shoulders, kissing her collarbone lightly. "You're okay." Katniss nods as Caesar stands up with his usual big grin on his face.

"From district 12. District 12, you know her as the girl on fire!" The audience cheers loudly. "Well, we know her as the lovely Katniss Everdeen!" The audience cheers again as a very nervous Katniss walks onto the stage and sits next to Caesar. He asks his first question, but to Y/n it's clear that she spaced out in fear.

"What?"

Caesar laughs it off, and the audience laughs along with him. "I think someone's a little nervous. I said, that was quite an entrance that you made at the tribute parade the other day. Do you want to tell us about it?"

"Well, I was just hoping that I wouldn't burn to death," she says, relaxing a little bit as the audience laughs again.

"When you came out on that chariot, I have to say, my heart stopped. Seeing you and Y/n, I just...wow." He turns to the audience. "Did any of you experience this as well? My heart stopped." The audience choruses their agreement.

Katniss laughs a little. "So did mine."

Caesar shifts so that he is facing her completely. "Now, tell me about the flames. Were they real?"

"Yes. In fact I'm wearing them today. Would you like to see?" The audience cheers loudly and she stands up. Caesar bolts up and covers her. 

"Wait! Wait! Wait! Is it safe?"

She feigns exasperation. "Yes."

"What do you think folks?" The audience screams loudly in response. "I think that's a yes!"

Katniss glances at Y/n in the wings, who shoots her a big smile and two thumbs up. She begins spinning around wildly, her dress dissolving away into wild flames that lick her sides.

"Katniss, that was something. That was something. Thank you for that. I have one more questions for you. It's about your sister. We were all very moved, I think, when you volunteered for her at the reaping. Did she come and say goodbye to you?"

"Yes, she did," Katniss says, stoic now about the mention of Prim.

"She did. And what did you say to her, in the end?"

Katniss looks at Y/n, tears evident in her eyes. "I told her that I would try to win. That I would try to win for her."

"Of course you did. And try you will." He stands up and kisses her hand. "Ladies and gentlemen, from district 12, Katniss Everdeen the girl on fire!" 

The audience cheers as she walks off the stage. Y/n squeezes her hand in passing as she makes her way up the platform onto the stage.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Y/n L/n from District 12!" Caesar announces. Y/n smiles as he kisses her hand. She perches herself on the arm chair, smiling warmly to the audience. Inside her, though, she resists the urge to flip them all off and set fire to the whole Capital. "Welcome, welcome," he says.

"So, Y/n. I wanted to ask about your passionate volunteering for Peeta. Is he...is he your boyfriend, per-chance?" Caesar asks with a small smile.

Y/n's smile drops. "What?" Caesar asks.

"No! I've never talked to Peeta before in my life!" The audience chitters with laughter.

"Ah, I see. So you and Katniss must be the fiercest of friends. Do you happen to have a special guy waiting for you back at home?"

Y/n covers her face, laughing into her hands at his pure stupidity. Capital pig. "Caesar, no guy is waiting for me at home! In case you haven't noticed, which it seems you haven't, the one I'm with is already here with me." She looks at the wings, where Katniss is watching her. "I volunteered to save my girlfriend's life."

The audience gasps, and Caesar does too, quite dramatically. "Well, now everything just makes perfect sense! You volunteered to be with your true love and possibly save her life! Oh, how romantic!" He exclaims.

Surprise crosses Y/n's face, because they've never said 'I love you' before, but it settles into a hard, almost murderous look. He picks up and shrinks in his chair, realizing her facade is down. "Not 'possibly' save her life. I will save her life. She is winning this."

"But...you don't want to win?"

"No. I'm ensuring that," she looks to Katniss and smiles at her. "I'm ensuring that my true love can go home."