Chapter 1

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is December 3rd, 2020. It doesn't matter how many books I publish, everytime I open up a new book I'm always astonished by the first readers on there. It gives me a sense of self-worth and new friendships. Love you all very much!

Slinging the game bag over her shoulder, Katniss intertwines her fingers with Y/n's and they set off to their home.

Y/n's parents were killed in front of her by Peacekeepers when she was small, around eight years old. Her only friend from primary school, Katniss, decided to take her in to her family. And so they grew up together, practically inseperable. Y/n became another older sister to small Primrose, another daughter to Mrs. Everdeen, and quickly fell in love with Katniss.

As they make their way to the town square, they spot their best friend, Gale Hawthorne. "Hi, Gale," Y/n greets, hugging him.

He eyes them. "You guys okay?"

Katniss nods. "I'm just stressed about the reaping." Y/n sqeezes her hand reassuringly.

Gale gives them a small smile. "Everything will be fine." Y/n bumps her hip into Katniss's, eliciting a little giggle and smile to slip from her stern lips.

"See? I told you." She turns to Gale. "May the odds be ever in your favor."

He gives a clumsy bow and waves at them, setting off.

And so here they are, eight years later, preparing for the annual reaping. They push open the door and greet Prim and Mrs. Everdeen.

"There you are! Quickly, get dressed, or we might be late!" Mrs. Everdeen exclaims. The girls run to their shared bedroom and strip off their hunting clothes and slip into their most formal wear. For Katniss: it's a blue dress. For Y/n, it's a forest green. 

i get it's still too fancy but there is literally no dress that looks poor on google images good lord

Y/n's fingers work through her h/c hair and quickly braid it, then wrap it around the crown of her head. "Let me do your hair, Princess," she motions to Katniss.

Katniss sits down on her bed and Y/n's finger work through her tangles, lulling her into a pristine relaxation. Her fingers work magic, and within 3 minutes, her chestnut hair is pulled into a waterfall braid that cascades down her head.

Y/n heads to her dresser and pulls out a beautiful gold mockingjay pin she found in the Seam yesterday. She walks over to Katniss and pins it on her outfit. 

"What is this?" Katniss asks.

"A gift. A token," Y/n replies. "To keep you safe." "There you go beautiful," Y/n says with a quick kiss to her neck.

Katniss smiles and kisses her happily.

Heading back into the common area, Primrose is turned around, petting her cat Buttercup. Y/n sneaks up behind her and tucks her blouse into her skirt. "Tuck in your tail, little duck," she laughs.

Primrose whips around and laughs. Mrs. Everdeen comes around and slips her hand into Katniss's and Prim's. She nods to Y/n to join hands as well. "We'll all be okay, my beautiful girl's. We'll be okay."

They all smile and join in for a hug. And now, they set off. They walk to the town square where crowds of other children are. Mrs. Everdeen is split away from them and Prim spots the needles. She begins panicking. "You didn't tell me there were needles!"

Katniss hugs her tightly. "Hey. It's okay. It's just a little prick." Prim takes a shuddery breath and nods, holding out her finger.

Y/n and Katniss follow suit, wincing slightly at the sharp metal. They are admitted, and Prim is seperated to join her age group. Y/n and Katniss grab each other's hands and join the rest of the 16 year old girls. Looking up at the stage, they spot the eccentric Effie Trinket. 

 "Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! Happy Hunger Games. And may the odds be ever in your favor. Now, before we begin, we have a very special film brought to you all the way from the Capitol," Effie exclaims, turning to the large screens that were set up. 

The usual short film narrated by President Snow plays and Y/n rolls her eyes. It finishes and Effie picks up her bright smile again. "Now the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman for the honor of representing District 12 in the 74th annual Hunger Games. As usual, ladies first."

She swirls her hand around in the large bowl before plucking a sheet of paper. Y/n's stomach drops and she grips her girlfriend a little harder.

 Effie unfolds the paper. "Primrose Everdeen. Where are you dear? Well, come on up."

Y/n gasps and Katniss lets out a little scream. They immediately look at Prim, who is trembling. Katniss kisses Y/n's cheek and mouths "I'm sorry."

She jumps out into the aisle. "I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!" Y/n screams and runs to Katniss, attempting to drag her back.

"No! Katniss!"

Effie gasps in delight. "I believe we have a volunteer."

Katniss pushes Y/n away and locks eyes with her, Y/n's full of fear. "You need to go. Please, you need to go."

Tears stream down Y/n's cheeks as she repeats her protests. A pair of strong arms wrap around her and pull her back. "Gale, put me down!" She shrieks as she watches her girlfriend walk up the stage beside Effie.

"And now for the boys. Peeta Mellark!"

Without a second thought, Y/n wretches herself away from Gale. and bolts up the stairs. "I volunteer as tribute!"

"Sweetie, you can't do that," Effie whispers as Katniss watches with bewildered eyes. Y/n grabs Effie's wrist tightly and glares into her eyes.

"You either let me go into the games with my girlfriend or I will strangle you with my bare hands," Y/n threatens through gritted teeth.

Effie looks at her with fear, then plasters her fake smile on, waving off the Peacekeepers. "Well! Thing's can change, so Katniss and... what was your name?"

"Y/n L/n."

"Introducing our tributes, Katniss Everdeen and Y/n L/n!"