Chapter 9

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is January 15th, 2020. WANDAVISION dropped today!! I haven't seen it yet because I'm in school, but I'm so excited to watch it tonight! I have such a huge reading list of books to read. I'm reading Dune right now, then I'm going to read Twilight, then I'm going to read A Handmaid's Tale, then I'm going to read Ten Thousand Doors of January, then I'm going to read Enola Holmes, AND THEN I'M CLEARING OUT MY WATTPAD READING LIST-

Y/n thanks Caesar and steps off the stage. Katniss looks conflicted with her feelings, her face flickering between angry, confused, and sad. "Why did you say that? It was broadcast everywhere."

Y/n looks at her, cocking her head. "I didn't say that for sponsors or attention, if that's what you're trying to get at."

"Really?" Katniss asks in an accusatory tone. Y/n shifts her body weight to face her, her face pulled into a hurt sneer.

"Yes, really. Do you really think I would give up my life for someone I don't love? Think, Katniss! Instead of worrying, think! Think about me, who I am, if I would do that to you?"

"You're going to make us look weak," Katniss growls.

Y/n scoffs. "I love you! And love is not weakness, it's strength. It gives us something to fight for other than ourselves."

Haymitch steps in. "She didn't make you look weak, she made you look desirable. Which in your case, can't hurt, sweetheart."

"He's right, Katniss," Cinna says.

"Of course I'm right! Now that it's confirmed and out there, I can sell the star crossed lovers from district 12," Haymitch shrugs.

"We are not star crossed lovers!" Katniss exclaims.

Y/n gasps and steps back. "So you don't love me? After all this?" Katniss reaches out to her, but she dodges her touch. "Don't. I don't... I don't want to see you." She tugs off her heels and runs off.

She shrugs off her dress and changes into a much more comfortable pair of silk pajamas. Instead of taking the elevator where she was bound to run into somebody looking for her or one of the other tributes, she opens the fire escape staircase and climbs to the roof.

The cool air nips at her skin underneath the thin fabric. She perches on the edge and looks over the skyline, swinging her feet over the side. She sighs and lays back, the velvety star-speckled sky flooding her vision. It's a wonder she could see the sky in all it's beauty with the bright lights.

Y/n hears the door open and she stiffens, knowing it's Katniss. "Can't sleep?" Her soft voice asks, sitting down beside her.

Y/n scoffs. "Of course not. My girlfriend just told me she doesn't love me."

"I didn't mean it like that, and I'm sorry."

"How did you mean it? Tell me Katniss, how could you possibly fix what you said?" Y/n says, looking at her with pain in her face and voice.

"I wasn't expecting you to announce your love on t.v! I expected it to be private, intimate, if it even happened at all! Now the Careers are going to hound us because they want to tear us apart!" She exclaims.

Y/n's face hardens. "I will fight like hell for us. For you."

"They're going to change us," Katniss says with pleading eyes.

"How would they change us?"

"Turn us into something we're not. I just don't wanna be another piece in their game, you know? We aren't murderers."

"You mean you won't kill anyone?"

"No. I'm sure I would, just like anybody else when the time came. But, you know, I just keep wishing I could think of a way to show them that they don't own me. You know, If I'm gonna die, I wanna still be me. Does that make any sense?"

"You're not going to die. And I hate to say this, you know it, but we will both need to kill people. Me more than you, probably, but obviously I'd want to keep our death count down if we can avoid it."

Katniss looks up at her with wide, fearful eyes. "I love you," she whispers.

Y/n smiles at her. "I love you too, Katniss." She places her hand on the side of her face and draws her in, kissing her tenderly.