Chapter 15

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is still February 9th, 2020. I finished my other story, "New Girl in Town", so I can update a lot faster than I was. Speaking of which, you should go check it out. It's a Robin x Reader from Stranger Things! Enjoy!

Warnings: Gory death be careful lovies

Seeing that Y/n is fast asleep from the fever and the infection, Katniss grabs Rue and they sneak out. They move quickly and swiftly through the woods until they reach the Cornucopia clearing. Katniss and Rue scan the area and see backpacks with different districts labeled on them. "Stay here," she directs.

Katniss begins darting towards it, and it about to grab it before Clove sneaks out and presses a knife against her throat. "Where's lover girl? Oh, I see. You were gonna help her. Well that's sweet! Well, it's too bad that you couldn't help her anyways. We stabbed her. We stabbed her! And now she's going to die. Along with Rue. And along with you."

Clove begins quickly slashing and cutting at Katniss in long, striking patterns. She climbs on top of Katniss and presses the knife against her again. Suddenly, a man's large hands come up from behind Clove and grab her, pulling her off Katniss.

"You kill her? You threaten her?" Thresh growls

"No!" Clove whimpers.

"I heard you!"

"Cato!" Clove screams.

"You said her name!" 

"Cato!" His name rips out of her throat.

"You said her name! You don't get to kill her!"

Katniss watches in horror as Thresh bashes in Clove's head with the side of the Cornucopia, Cato's name continuing to slip past her lips as she twitches to death, blood staining the green, artificial grass.

Thresh turns back to Katniss. "Just this time, 12! For Rue. You protect her. You two can win this." He glances at Rue across the field and nods, then disappears into the tall, sweeping reed grass. Katniss grabs the medicine and bolts away, Rue right behind her.

She falls to her knees beside Y/n. "Y/n, I got it. I got the medicine."

"What happened to you?" Y/n asks, sitting up and looking at the cut on Katniss' face.

"Nothing."

Y/n reaches up. "No, you're not. What happened?"

The girl from 2, she threw a knife, but I'm okay," Katniss shrugs.

"You shouldn't have gone, you said you weren't gonna go," Y/n insists.

"You said I could! And you got worse," Katniss says, pulling out the medicine.

"I knew you wouldn't listen to me, but I hoped you'd be smart enough not to!" Y/n looks at Rue. "Are you okay, sweetie? Did you get hurt, too?"

Rue shakes her head. "I hung behind." She takes the medicine from Katniss and delicately applies it to Y/n's wound.

"You need some of that too," Y/n says to Katniss.

"I'm okay," she responds.

Y/n sighs in relief. "That feels better. Okay, now you."

"I'm okay."

"No, come on. You need it too. Come on," Y/n repeats.

"Alright," Katniss caves. She kneels down in front of her and Y/n dips her finger into the tub, smearing the ointment on her face. Their eyes lock and they search each other's souls, not looking for anything in particular, simply finding solace and curling up in each other.

Rue snaps her fingers in front of them. "I think that's enough medicine!" the three of them laugh and huddle together for warmth. They can't risk lighting a fire. The next morning, when they wake, Y/n sees that Katniss' wound is gone completely.

Katniss checks Y/n and sees she is almost completely healed. "Oh, my God, Y/n!"

Y/n laughs in disbelief. "I can hardly feel anything. I thought I was going to be paralyzed."

"We could go home. We could. We're the only team left," Rue says, grabbing their arms happily.

"You could go home. You two will go home."

Katniss groans. "Not this again."

Y/n stands up, much to her delight. "We should get some food." The three of them exit the cave to scavenge. "We know Thresh took off. Cato's gonna be by the Cornucopia, he's not gonna go someplace he doesn't know. Fox Face, she could be anywhere," Y/n recounts.

"We should probably hunt around here," Katniss says.

"I'll locate some stuff," Y/n says, disappearing into the woods. She finds a large berry bush and begins gathering them in a large pile. Suddenly, a cannon goes off and Y/n begins running to Katniss, who then collides into her. "You okay?" Y/n asks.

"I heard the cannon!" Katniss gasps. She looks at the berries in Y/n's hands. "That's nightlock, Y/n! You'd be dead in a minute!"

"I- I know," Y/n stammers.

"Why would you have it?! You scared me to death. Damn you!" She begins sobbing and hugs Y/n tightly. Y/n strokes her hair gingerly.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

Y/n guides Katniss back to where the pile was, and shows her Fox Face's body dead on the floor, the corners of her mouth stained red with the berries. "I knew she was following me."

"You were clever," Katniss responds. She grabs the remaining berries and tucks them into her pocket.

"What are you doing?" Y/n asks.

Katniss shrugs. "Maybe Cato likes berries too." They continue walking back through the jungle to get back to the cave and Rue.

"What time is it?" Y/n asks.

"A little after noon."

"Why is it getting so dark?"

"They must be in a hurry to end it."