Chapter 7

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is January 2, 2021. What the heck?! That is not something I enjoy writing, but it also feels good because of how bad 2020 went? I don't know, but I'm not getting my hopes up for fear of cursing another frickingyear. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH YOU MADE IT THROUGH A HORRIBLE YEAR AND YOU'RE GONNA MAKE IT THROUGH ANOTHER YEAR

Y/n pushes open the large doors to the training room and walks in, Katniss right beside her. Their intimidating eyes swoop the group, and a few tributes shrink back, but the Careers cock their heads at them, amused. Y/n squeezes Katniss's hand, then they break off to explore different stations. 

A while later, Katniss is observing from the ground as Y/n shimmies up a series of ropes, a sword strapped to her back. The Careers come up behind Katniss and watch Y/n as well. She begins throwing her body weight forward and back to catch the second rope, but she misses her grip and begins falling. The Careers begin laughing and jeering, but Y/n catches the last quarter of  the rope and uses her momentum to throw her body back up to the top. Grabbing onto it with her hand, she takes the sword and throws it at the Careers. 

The gasp and duck, but the sword flies over their heads and pierces the heart of the dummy behind them.

Katniss looks up at Y/n, who is smirking at them. She catches her eye and winks from the rafters.

\--/

"Tomorrow they'll bring you in one by one, they'll evaluate you," Haymitch says, assuming his usual man-sprawl position on the chair in the penthouse. "This is important cause higher ratings will mean sponsors. This is the time to show them everything. They'll be a bow, make sure you use it. Y/n, you make sure to show your swordsmanship. They'll start with district 1, so the two of you will go last. Well, I don't know how else to put this. Make sure they remember you."

Y/n takes this too heart and thinks about his words as she sits in the back of the waiting room with Katniss. "You're doing bow stuff, right?" She asks her.

Katniss nods and jiggles her leg in anxiety. Y/n places a soothing hand on her thigh and catches Katniss's face in the other. She tilts her head and presses a soft kiss to Katniss's lips. Y/n's eyes catch other tributes, and she sneers at them.

One by one, the tributes file in there, leaving Y/n and Katniss. Y/n's name is called and she squeezes Katniss's hand, walking into the trial room. She looks up and sees the men all conversing in a large alcove overlooking the room.

Turning her back on them, she grabs the swords she was training with earlier. Turning back around, she finds all the Gamemakers observing her with sleazy grins on their faces. Y/n rolls her eyes and flips them off, much to their surprise. The head Gamemaker, Senesca, raises an eyebrow in intrigue. 

She presses the button that activates the laser soldiers, and with a flourish of her sword, she charges at the soldier with a yell. The lasers swing its fake weapon at Y/n, and she falls to her knees, sliding under it. SHe turns and glares at it, then runs at it, clashing her sword with it. Keeping their swords locked, she twirls under her own arm and pulls away, slashing at the soldier. It dodges away and swiftly returns a cut, almost nicking her side.

Y/n glances at the Gamemakers, who are watching her with sick anticipation. She throws herself to the ground into a somersault, quickly popping back up behind the soldier before it can come to its robotic senses. She brings her sword up to its throat and slits the lasers in half.

The beams flicker away and Y/n glares at the Gamemakers and blows a piece of hair out of her face. They smirk at her and politely applaud. 

Y/n takes a dramatic bow, then sticks her middle finger in her mouth, pulling it out slowly to reveal her middle finger to them. Rolling her eyes, the sword clatters to the floor and she storms out. Winking at Katniss, she heads back to the penthouse. "Disgusting," she mutters.

\--/

Katniss closes her eyes, annoyed at all of Effie's yelling. Y/n has her head in Katniss's lap. 

"Are you crazy?!" Effie demands.

"I just got mad," Katniss shrugs. Y/n nods, fighting hard to conceal her smirk.

"Mad?" Effie laughs, bewildered. "You realize that your actions reflect badly on all of us, not just you!"

Cinna shrugs. "They just want a good show, it's fine."

"How about it's just bad manner, Cinna? How about that?" Effie shrieks. Haymitch lazily strolls in. "Well, finally! I hope you noticed, we have a serious situation."

Haymitch flashes Y/n and Katniss two thumbs up. "Nice shooting, sweetheart. What did they...what did they do when you shot the apple? And what about you, Y/n? They said you slit the throat of the soldier and flipped them off?"

"Well, they looked pretty startled," Katniss says.

"They were looking at me as if I was food," Y/n says, shuddering. "As if I haven't made clear I like girls and am with Katnip."

"Oh," Haymitch groans, sneering at the thought. He turns to Katniss. "Now what did you say? 'Thanks for your..."

"Thanks for your consideration."

Haymitch kisses his fingers. "Genius! Genius."

Effie whimpers. "I don't think we're gonna find this funny if the gamemakers decide to take it out..."

"On who? On Katniss? On Y/n? I think they already have. Loosen your corset, have a drink. I would have given anything to see it," Haymitch shrugs.

They all tun their attention to the holographic t.v in the center of the room. Caesar Flickerman eagerly announces all of the tributes evaluation scores.

"Y/n L/n, score of...twelve. Incredible! How amazing!"

Everyone breaks out screaming. Katniss tackles Y/n into a large hug, who is in a stunned silence. "And finally. From district 12, Katniss Everdeen. With a score of...eleven."

Everyone is shocked and excited, loudly cheering.

"I thought they hated me," Katniss gasps in disbelief.

"They must have liked your guts," Y/n snickers. "And mine."

"To Katniss Everdeen and Y/n L/n, the girls on fire!" Caesar cheers.