Chapter 1

Printempis 4th, 998 A.D.

A light morning mist hung over the sprawling camp of an Innutukian military force. Set up in the lush plains that abruptly ended at the mountainous border of the prosperous Monteraynian Kingdom, the encampment's very existence was a bold affront to their authority. The scarlet and violet flag of the Innutukian Empire fluttered proudly above the huddle of tents and armored equines.

Two Monteraynian knights threaded through the Innutukian camp under the close watch of eight warriors who held their swords hostage. The fine droplets of mist stung the knights' faces as they advanced, but they remained resolute.

The taller of the pair, Manfred Rickland by name, sported a face as long as it was grave, with a well-defined jawline and messy dark blond hair. His deep brown eyes betrayed nothing of his intended purpose in the enemy camp. In contrast with Manfred, his counterpart Nathan Korynn possessed swarthy skin and curly hair, with a handsome beard framing his full lips. A silent, subtle mischief settled itself in his expression.

After a short walk, two of the Innutukian escorts pulled aside the entrance flaps to their commander's massive tent. Manfred exchanged a glance with Nathan and entered first, eyes darting about all the while as they stepped inside.

Due to the black goatskins used to construct the tent, very little sunlight filtered through, and due to that fact, candles and lanterns scattered about the interior filled the space with a warm, flickering glow. Manfred's head slowly bobbed up and down as he headed to the collapsible oak desk at the back of the tent. His gaze ascended to meet that of Commander Voy Morus of the Innutukian army.

Manfred put himself in no hurry at all; on the contrary, he strolled his slowest up to the desk, allowing him time to collect his thoughts on the seated Innutukian officer before him. He'd always struck Manfred as bird-like in appearance, with his vibrant light blue eyes that darted about ceaselessly, ruffled blonde hair, and long nose coming to a rather sharp point. But unlike any bird, Morus was also a tower of muscle encased in refined Alcontean armor any crudely-protected Innutukian would envy.

Morus' gaze flitted between Manfred and Nathan, and his small mouth twitched as he awaited their slow approach. His unarmored hand leapt to the helmet sitting on his desk, and his fingers twitched upon it. Finally, he appeared to make a decision within himself, and he rose to his full height. Even Manfred's impressive stature didn't beat Morus'.

"What is this about, men?" Morus demanded of the soldiers escorting Manfred and Nathan, "Why have you brought these pests here?"

"We found them just outside camp, sir." one of the men clucked in his guttural Innutukian accent. "They were just waiting to be found. Surrendered immediately, didn't offer any fight."

Morus' eyebrows drew together. He managed to hold a glare on Manfred for about two seconds before darting to Nathan. "What sort of twisted devilry lies in your breasts?"

"We have no treachery, Commander." Manfred replied plainly, "Nothing but a message from her highness, Princess Katherine Alder."

"And what might that be?"

"She says simply this: You've poked the wrong bear this day, my friend."

Morus laughed dryly. "Your bears are no match for the lions of Innutuk."

"That remains to be seen."

"As does the actualization of your princess' empty threats."

Nathan cleared his throat. "The only thing that will be empty when Monterayne's done with Innutuk is her imperial coffers and homes."