Appendix - Knightly Contributions to the 2nd Reformation War

The Knights of a New Era, founded by Sir Tom Holt in the middle of 994 A.D., played a big role in Monterayne's success against the Innutukian Empire in the 2nd Reformation War spanning from 995-998. The contributions of famous knights like Sir Manfred Rickland and Sir Nathan Korynn are well known and documented in these books, but the order's hundreds of other members also achieved great things and performed fantastic feats for the crown they served, some of which will be recognized here.

First, a general overview of the events following the Battle of the Border kicking off the war in earnest, and preceding the Battle for the Crown serving as the end to the war:

The Battle of the Border had no decisive victor. Innutuk's forces retreated, but not because they were driven to a breaking point by the Monteraynian defenders. Captain Andre Feliz simply ordered this retreat because tactically, he saw little use in pushing through to victory. Their numbers were great, but not enough to storm the Monteraynian capital. Weakening the kingdom slowly through the course of a drawn-out war would be the only way to penetrate its strong defenses, he reasoned, and so he withdrew to regroup the forces.

Monterayne promptly declared an official state of war between themselves and the Innutukian Empire, and so the 2nd Reformation War began.

The first few months of the war went by slowly, however. A few light skirmishes in Innutukian border towns suspected to be harboring companies of soldiers, but nothing more. More importantly in that time frame was the fact Monterayne hadn't succeeded in killing off all the rogue knights from the old order who had allied themselves to work as secret operatives for Innutuk. Sir Rickland served as Princess Kate's fist in crushing these reprehensible men before they could cause too much harm. Most died fighting Rickland to avoid being captured, while a few languished in the princess' confinement center.

Innutuk's first true campaign in the war didn't even directly concern Monterayne, that being the push into Antapeño. Nonetheless, knowing Monterayne was currently at war with the expanding Empire, Antapeño requested aid in fighting the invaders off. Spring and early summer of 996 were taken up in this campaign. With the combined efforts of Antapeño, Monterayne, and Alconte at the very end, they held off the brunt of the Empire's encroachment, though it did succeed in pushing the border back a few hundred miles, and Antapeño didn't bother reclaiming the lost territory.

As Innutuk began to give up on the Antapeñan encroachment, she shifted her attention southward to the lush Monteraynian possession of Aroria. Yet again, the two nations crossed swords in the rich agricultural region both valued so highly, and the remainder of 996 was occupied in a bloody conflict there. In the end, Innutuk did succeed in acquiring a strip of land running along the border with the wildlands, Shafaria's northern border, and Monterayne on the west. Monterayne did contest this multiple times, but to no avail.

Finally came the assault on Shafaria starting in late 996/early 997. This campaign lasted an entire year of unceasing conflict. Endless battles, advances, retreats, and political maneuvering. Ultimately, the northern half of the country fell to Innutukian rule while the loyalists congregated in the southern half to make a stand. By far, this stage of the war received the most foreign attention, with nations as diverse as Forbache and Kemaria adding their weapons and manpower to that of Monterayne, Alconte, and Shafaria itself.

Then a few relatively dead months followed before Innutuk set up a massive horde of troops in its sliver of Aroria, just outside Monterayne's border. This led to the Battle for the Crown that spelled the end of Innutuk's willingness to engage in warfare with Monterayne.

Individual knightly contributions

And now will be a short analysis of a few key knights and their exertions in the war. For the most part, this will focus on members of the order not seen at all in the main story, but some lesser known feats by the major knights will also be detailed here.