Chapter 3

Manfred paced around the circular table in the war council room with his hands folded behind his back. The morning sun glinted in his eyes here and there as he walked, its beams allowed entry by a series of slits in the upper wall. Along with the rays came a cold draft from outside, which caused Manfred to shiver and pull his ceremonial indigo robes tighter around himself, covering up his knightly tunic.

Manfred wasn't the only one awaiting Princess Kate's arrival. Around the central table sat Nathan and two other knights who had proven themselves exemplary members of the order. The first was a Kemarian man about Manfred's height, named Tao. Tao had developed a distinctive style of sword fighting wherein he wielded two swords at the same time, rendering him a deadly and agile foe.

And then there was Bella Holt, a freckled young woman with auburn hair and fiery green eyes who had become renowned for her refined, balanced Halotinian swordsmanship. No wasted motion, and no unnecessary risks taken.

Just as Manfred and Nathan had been rather consistently partnered together in missions over the course of the war, so had Tao and Bella, as their personalities complimented one another nicely. Whereas Tao maintained a serene demeanor off the battlefield while displaying a fierce warrior spirit in fights, Bella was exactly opposite. Often, she lashed out with a sharp tongue in talks, but her fighting was always disciplined and elegant.

Lastly, the current assembly of the war council was rounded off by Captain Sloan Troy. Given he'd watched over Monterayne's main fighting force in the capital for years, he had come to be viewed as the unofficial leader of the whole army in some ways. He also had become greatly embittered toward Manfred at the beginning of the war, for Princess Kate had once been betrothed to Sloan, only to annul it for Manfred.

Kate also called the waiting for her arrival to an end by stepping through the doorway and offering all the men a burdened smile. Manfred turned to face her and bowed, and the seated members of the council rose up to do the same. Manfred strolled to the table to finally take a seat between Nathan and Kate.

"Greetings, men." Kate said in a clear voice, "I suppose we have much to discuss, so let us waste no time. Sir Rickland, please give your report on the delivery of your message to the Innutukian camp."

Manfred cleared his throat and leaned forward with his elbows on the table, hands clasped together. "Not much to report. Commander Voy Morus was in charge of their forces at the time, and we gave him the words both you and your father said. He didn't seem to take it seriously."

"Not at all." Nathan affirmed, words broken up by an easygoing chuckle that appeared to irritate Sloan.

"He also tried to detain us. But we weren't letting that happen. You know us."

Kate laughed lightly and nodded. "So you fought him off, I presume, and departed?"

"That's right." Manfred said, "Message delivered, nothing more to be accomplished there."

"Did you ever see Andre Feliz?" Tao asked.

"We didn't."

Nathan smirked. "If Andre were there, he wouldn't have left Bird Boy in charge."

Bella rolled her eyes, but still laughed, and Kate readily joined in. Tao and Sloan remained stoic, and Manfred didn't laugh, but did smile.

"Anything more of note?" Kate asked.

Manfred shook his head. "I mean...there were a lot of troops, so there's that. Whatever they're planning is massive."

Kate nodded before turning her attention to Tao and Bella. "And now, please report on your espionage assignment."