Chapter 2

In a tent at the end of the northwest arm of the sprawling Innutukian camp, Lord Andre Feliz stood and cradled a baby in his arms—to be more exact, his very own infant son. Feared Innutukian officer as he was, a master swordsman aptly titled "The Emperor's Claw", he now indulged in a moment of domestic joy and attempted coaxing the baby to smile.

With a contented sigh, Andre stepped away from his desk in the corner and eyed his wife. A smile crept to his lips as he beheld her. Scaraleten was her name, and Andre had found her to be a true rarity among Innutukian women. She certainly fulfilled all the motherland's ideals of femininity and beauty, but yet didn't flaunt it like so many did. Even though she naturally had temperamental tendencies and a sharp tongue, she had taught herself to keep restraint for the most part, a trait Andre respected greatly.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be there for his birth." Andre said before leaning over and kissing his blonde wife on the cheek. "Believe me, I wanted to, but—"

"I understand." Scaraleten interrupted, exhibiting her guttural Innutukian accent in the process, "You fight for a brighter future for Innutuk. Our son will count himself blessed to come of age in the improved Empire you strive for."

Andre nodded, staring deeply into Scaraleten's grayish-blue eyes. "You're right, I know, but...I would hate to miss too much."

"Such is the price of kinship to a hero. Besides, you said it yourself. If this campaign goes as planned, Monterayne may very well crumble, giving Innutuk a true stronghold in the east."

"You're right. And Alconte's expanding, yes, but also weakening. Without Monterayne, her fall would be a question of imminence, not possibility."

Scaraleten's lips tugged into a smile. "I believe in you, Andre. Your designs will come to pass, and in a short time, you'll be able to come home for good."

"We can move to the lake country like you always wanted." Andre remarked with a smirk.

Scaraleten nodded to Andre's proposition, causing his smile to only grow. He handed the baby to her before planting another kiss on her forehead. Upon breathing in the subtle scent of her floral perfume, he found his mind transported to the early days of their acquaintance. Having suffered a fairly serious injury from an arrow in the Battle of the Border that had properly kicked off this current war, Andre had been pulled from the front lines to rehabilitate himself, and Scaraleten had been the healer assigned to help him in this task.

From the moment they met, the two had indulged in lively, friendly conversation that quickly and naturally grew more intimate as the weeks of Andre's recovery progressed. By the time he'd fully healed and returned to service, their bond had grown quite strong indeed. After a few months of courtship, Andre had taken Scaraleten's hand in marriage, and they had enjoyed a happy union indeed ever since.

Andre's contented reminiscing was cut short when the tent flap rustled behind him, and a boot scuffed on the dirt floor. He glanced back to see his student Tanuk, who approached with a mischievous grin on his face.

Andre sighed, loath to interrupt his time with wife and child to attend to what was likely nothing more than a little foolishness from his troublemaking student. "What is it, Tanuk?"

"Ah, Commander Voy sent me. Your old friend's here, Lord Feliz."

Andre's dark eyebrows drew together on his tanned face. "Manfred?"

"Him and his dark-skinned pet, yes."

"That doesn't sound like Manfred, just walking in here. Why's he come?"

Tanuk sputtered with laughter, which significantly delayed his delivery of the message. "He had words from King Maxwell. Something about disbanding our forces and leaving their border. Commander Voy had them put in the flogging tent, if you want to see them."