Epilogue

Printempis 52nd, 998 A.D.

A gentle evening breeze brushed through Kate's silky brown hair as her emerald eyes squinted at a bag of grain hanging from a wooden post several paces off. She sighed, raised her bow, and tugged the string back. Aiming for a little red dot painted on the middle of the bag, she released her arrow, and sure enough, the head buried itself dead center in the mark.

Kate glanced at the three arrows on the ground near the post that had missed the mark. Statistically speaking, she'd found she tended to hit a quarter of the shots she took, though on a good day, it'd be more like half. Always striving to be better, she currently practiced to improve that number.

Then a rustling sound in the grass behind Kate drew her attention back, and her heart leapt in her chest at the sight of her husband Manfred. With an unrestrained grin on her face, she laid her bow down in the grass before bounding over and throwing herself into his arms.

Manfred's breathy chuckle tickled Kate's ear as his strong arms encircled her and pulled her even closer. His scent was that of the woods, a handsome smell that suited him well. And the comforting warmth of his body against hers made Kate never want to pull away.

Kate finally stepped back far enough to make eye contact, which was a pleasure in itself. Manfred's manner was calm and subtle as always, but there was visible pleasure in his dark brown eyes to see his beloved, and also a tinge of desire which Kate obliged by pulling his head down into a kiss.

After a few pleasurable seconds Kate regretted cutting short, she pulled back again and grinned up at Manfred. "So, I see you're back in one piece."

"Disappointed?" Manfred jested, smile widening at Kate's light giggle.

"Oh, very much so." she said, playing along, "If you simply lost a few inches, I wouldn't have to strain my neck so much to look you in the eyes."

Manfred laughed, and then his arms encircled Kate's waist. He hoisted her up so her eyes were level with his. "Is this better?"

Kate playfully bashed her forehead into his. "Much better." When Manfred put her back down on her own two feet, she drew in a deep breath and tilted her head. "So, the negotiations went well, then?"

"I'd say so. The Danlashian diplomats didn't seem so insistent on pushing the border farther out at the end of it all, so I'd say the status quo is preserved over there for the time being."

"Excellent. The last thing Alconte needs right now is an all-out war."

Manfred shook his head. "You're telling me."

"Well, I have something to tell you as well." Kate reached out and took Manfred's hands into her own.

Manfred stared deep into her eyes and nodded, and the thought passed through her mind that his younger self would never be able to maintain the eye contact for half as long as now. "I'm listening."

"I feel as if there should be more preamble about this, some graceful way to lead in, but alas, I'm too excited for that. Manfred, I do believe we are with child."

A wider grin than Kate had ever seen on Manfred's face, appeared there now. His lips parted, and he appeared to be having difficulty groping for words.

"That's...really exciting!" he finally blurted out, "I don't actually...not sure what I should be saying; that's amazing."

Kate's eyelids narrowed mirthfully. "Well, you haven't exactly been in this situation before now, so I don't judge you. I'm just overjoyed."

"So am I." Manfred affirmed after pecking Kate on the lips, "We're living in a dream, aren't we?"

"Apparently so. I'll gladly never awake, that we may remain in this dream."

"Well said."

Curiosity flashed across Kate's eyes. "Are there any names, by any chance, that you wish to pass on from your lineage?"

Manfred paused for a second, and his jaw shifted in thought. "I don't think so. You?"

"None are required on my part either, but I should wish to honor my grandfather Dustin if it is a son I bear. He was a mighty man of honor and valor."

Manfred quickly nodded. "Dustin is a lovely name, too."

"I'm glad you think so! Now, what if we have a girl instead?"

"Katherine is a fine name."

Kate glanced up quickly, hoping strongly Manfred didn't mean that seriously. And sure enough, he didn't, as indicated by the teasing glint in his eyes.

"No," Manfred said, "I don't have any obligations to pass on a namesake, but if we're talking about honoring relatives, I do have a grandmother I believe much deserves that gesture."

"Ah, alright, what's her name?"

"Cassandra."

"Cassandra..." Kate muttered, head slowly bobbing as she thought it over, "I like it; that will be our baby girl, then."

Manfred laid a hand on Kate's shoulder and smiled. "Now to see if Dustin or Cassandra comes first."

Kate's laugh was comprised of amusement mingled with happiness as she threw her arms around Manfred's torso again. They stared into the sunset together while basking in the love they shared, accompanied by optimistic anticipation for the joy of raising a family together. For the first time in her life, Kate felt fully at peace, completely content. She no longer worried about the future, for she had Manfred at her side.

All in all, she concluded the bitterness of war made peace and tranquility taste all the sweeter. Kate closed her eyes and resolved to enjoy it to the fullest. 

**** 

A/N: Well, I hope that serves well as a sweet little conclusion to the stories of Manfred Rickland and Kate Alder, but also sorta the beginning of a new story for them, parenthood! And also, this epilogue caps off the second of the three trilogies of the Reformation Wars. I hope you enjoyed, and if so, please do remember to vote and comment. 

Now, speaking of the third trilogy, as of now, writing isn't yet underway, but hopefully I'll start working on that in the near future. The best way to keep posted and see when book 7 pops up, will be to follow my account and keep an eye on my announcements. 😉 

But yeah, now that we're done with the second trilogy, let me know what you thought! Who were some characters that stood out and why? Most memorable scene? Key takeaway overall? Dump your thoughts in the comments, please. 😁

I do have a little appendix to add, so I'll be off to post that, but thank you so much for reading! Every ounce of support ya'll give me means a ton, so again, thank you. I'll see you in the appendix, and Lord willing, in the next book as well. Peace! ❤️