Chapter 7

By the time noon rolled around up in the capital, Manfred had already sent out teams of messengers to inform government officials of Princess Kate's order to take shelter in Pelandor. Horses and carriages began to emerge from various stables around the castle, while aides bustled to and fro to prepare for the trip.

Manfred advanced down one of the corridors on the upper levels of the knights' hall with Nathan at his side. The two had just been up in the advisory council chamber to look over the newly penned code of conduct and discuss any revisions Nathan found necessary. He'd declared the document to be both thorough and concise, his only suggestion for revision being a guideline for teachers of new knights, that they should incorporate teaching knightly morality into their instruction instead of purely teaching combat skills and leaving spiritual matters for the individual to learn for himself.

Now, the two headed down to the sparring chamber to pick out escorts for the departing officials. Along the way, Manfred made up his mind to make an inquiry of Nathan.

"I had quite a talk with Kate this morning." he said in a matter of fact tone that caused Nathan to glance up and quirk a brow.

"What was it about?" Nathan probed.

"Well...you know her. She's one to do what she sees as best rather than following tradition for tradition's sake. She told me when her father leaves the throne, she'd like me to take his place. And she'd rule at my side."

"Smokin' hell. That's a big burden. You really want that weight on your shoulders?"

Manfred walked in silence for a moment, eyes peering through a latticed window on his left as his thoughts churned. "Normally, I wouldn't. But for Kate, I'd do anything."

"Well, I can respect that. Would that bring the Alder dynasty to an end, or would you still take her name?"

"No, Kate said we would break tradition in that regard. The Alder bloodline will live on, but no longer under that name."

"Again, that's a weighty matter, but I'm glad for you. Your family would be proud." Nathan gave Manfred a reassuring smile.

"Thanks. Of course, kingship is a big responsibility certain to absorb all my time and energy, so I know very well I'd have to step down as head of the knightly order."

"So you'll need a successor of your own, right."

"Exactly." Manfred sucked in a deep breath. "To be honest, there's no debate in my mind. You'd be great to lead the order."

Nathan's gaze dropped to the floor as the two approached a flight of stairs and began descending. "I don't know."

"Don't know...what?"

"About leading like that."

Manfred blinked. "You don't think you have what it takes?"

"Not necessarily. I have a good grip on what it takes to lead men; this war's seen to that."

"I'm assuming it's not a matter of being able to, but one of wanting to?"

"Something like that." Nathan said, "Just not sure that'd fit in too well with my plans for the future."

"Which are...?"

Nathan paused for a long moment before answering. "Suffice it to say, when all this is over, I'll be settling down outside of Monterayne."

Perceiving there was a detail Nathan was leaving out on purpose, Manfred nodded, deciding not to probe further. "I understand. Wouldn't want to tie you down, in that case."