Chapter 1

(y/n) - your name

(h/c) - hair color

(e/c) - eye color

(l/n) - (your) last name

and with that, let the story begin

━━━━━━ ◦ ✤ ◦ ━━━━━━

"(Y/n), sweetie, it's time to get up!" a voice sung cheerfully from within the doorway of her bedroom. Still half asleep (y/n) squinted to make out the figure still standing there. "Five more minutes," she grumbled, rolling to the other side of her bed so she didn't have to stare directly into the light coming from the other room. She's never been much of a morning person; in fact, she had only gone to bed about 2 hours prior to her mom barging in her room, making for an automatic attitude toward anyone who even dared to breathe in her direction.

"School is stupid," (y/n) stated sleepily, putting a pillow over her head, "I already have the second-highest grades of my class, why do I have to go?" It had been almost three years since she had moved to Japan from the states, and somehow she found the only thing she struggled with at this new school was waking up in the morning to go. "(Y/n) it's been five minutes, get up," her mom said in a serious tone. After hearing the way her mother's voice sounded, (y/n) could tell that she couldn't stay in bed much longer. Groaning, she rose out of bed and put her feet on the cold, hard ground.

After getting ready for school as quickly as possible, the (h/c) haired girl stumbled down the stairs, grabbed a pop-tart, and said her goodbyes to her parents. She slipped her shoes on and walked outside; although (Y/n) wasn't generally a positive person, she had the feeling that today was going to be a good day. The weather was perfect and the sound of birds chirping filled the air. To her, it seemed almost too paradisaical.

Maybe it's the lack of sleep that's making me think this way she thought

Yes, that had to be it.

"Hey (y/n)!" a voice spoke. She jumped and turned around to see her best friend standing there. "Woah, didn't mean to startle you," he continued, "I just thought you'd want to walk to school with me." (Y/n) chuckled a little and looked at her friend. "Sorry," she said sheepishly, "got a little lost in thought I guess." 

(Y/n)'s first day of school at Daikoku Private Academy was the day that she met him, and they had been inseparable since. At her old school, she didn't really have any friends, but once she got to Daikoku she had managed to befriend the smartest kid in the school, maybe even the smartest kid in the country. 

"You coming?" he asked, holding his hand out as if he was going to show her the way to school. The corners of (Y/n)'s mouth twitched into a small smile as she rolled her eyes at him. "I know the way to school, Light, I've been there hundreds of times, remember?" she declared with the same attitude she had earlier this morning; she pushed his hand aside and took the lead down the sidewalk. 

Light stood in place for a second, his mind going absolutely crazy thinking about what had given her so much confidence this particular morning. As quickly as all the different possibilities entered his head, he brushed them aside and jogged lightly to catch up to his friend. "Someone's feisty this morning," he said, looking down at her. (Y/n) just laughed a bit, clearly unfazed by the comment Light had just made. She knew she had a little bit of an attitude, but why try to prevent it from coming out when she could embrace it instead?

After a few more minutes of walking, they had reached the school. Despite being a private school, it wasn't terrible when it came to the students. Everyone had to wear uniforms, which usually indicates uptight, rich snobs who were obsessing over how much money the other had but when it came to Daikoku, it wasn't like that at all. In fact, it was basically the same as the public school (Y/n) had attended a few years back. 

The only major difference between this school and her previous one was the fact that she actually had friends here, her favorite of them all being Light. She wouldn't tell any of her other friends that though, of course.

"You wanna head to class now, (y/n)?" Light asked. Being the two smartest kids in school, their classes and schedules were identical to one another's, the only difference being that Light attended cram school afterward, while (Y/n) did not. She's always been better at studying the way she wanted to, and not having someone else tell her how. (Y/n) nodded and headed to English with Light, plopping down into her usual seat once they had arrived. Light followed suit and sat down in the seat next to hers.

(Y/n) did everything in her power to stay awake during class; English had come extremely easy to her and was, therefore, the most boring class to sit through, especially so early in the morning. The teacher started his lecture, and both Light and (Y/n) looked at each other as if to say that they were both bored out of their minds. "Yagami, are you with us?" the teacher said, dirtily glaring in the friends' direction, "can you please translate the following sentence into English?"

It was clear that he could tell (Y/n) was stifling a laugh. Light sighed and stood up, picking the book up and holding it close to his face. "Follow the teachings of God and receive his blessings," he began, shooting a dirty look in (Y/n)'s direction. She couldn't help but let the laugh slip this time. "(L/n), if you find this so funny, finish the rest of the sentence for us," the teacher growled, obviously infuriated. This time, it was Light's turn to laugh. 

This is too easy

She stood up, and grabbed her book, turning to the page she had to finish for Light. Looking directly at her teacher, she read off the page, "and so it shall be that the seas will again become bountiful and the raging storms will subside."

Before she knew it, the class was over and she found herself walking with Light to the courtyard. "Hey, (Y/n)?" he said, "would it maybe be okay if I walked by myself for right now, I have a lot on my mind and-" She cut him off, "you don't have to ask for my permission, you know."

Not even a second passed when Light ran off, almost as if there was some sort of crisis he was rushing to fix. (Y/n) felt uneasy, but just brushed it off. She couldn't shake the feeling, however, that Light, her best friend who told her everything, was keeping something from her.

━━━━━━ ◦ ✤ ◦ ━━━━━━

A/N:

So hi, in case you haven't noticed I'm new to Wattpad, so please don't bash my writing. I'm gonna try my best to make a good story for all of you and I'll try to have longer chapters as we go on. This was sorta just an introduction to (Y/n)'s relationship with Light.

Obviously, this is an L x Reader fanfic so L will be coming into the story soon, but like the manga and anime, it'll be a little longer before he's introduced.

Anyways, let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions I'm absolutely open to hearing them.

Bye :)