Chapter 9

L greedily chomped down on a piece of cake, practically swallowing it whole with the rate at which he was consuming it. (Y/n) alongside the other detectives in the room watched the detective lick his fingers clean of frosting before uttering, "back to the discussion we were having before (Y/n) decided to rush out of here."

"Oh, the one where you creepily watch me?" The girl mumbled under her breath, secretly hoping L had heard her; the subtle smile on the detective's face hinted to her he did, in fact, hear what she said. Strangely enough, however, he didn't care to respond to her snarky comment; instead, he continued with his exchange with the task force.

"As a courtesy to the chief and his family, only he and I will conduct surveillance of their home," L said to Soichiro before turning to the rest of the detectives, "as for deputy Kitamura, everyone else may feel free to survey the family as desired."

"And what about (Y/n) and her family?" Mr. Yagami asked the detective. There was a look on his face that looked almost angered, yet somehow confused. There was no doubt in (Y/n)'s mind that he was upset that his family was under observation, while L didn't even bother mentioning her name when she was considered earlier.

L's eyes darted to the girl standing beside him for just a moment before returning his gaze to the computer. "Yes, I assumed you might ask about that, Mr. Yagami, but I have no reason to suspect her anymore," he mumbled, bringing his thumb to his mouth almost like a young child, "after some thorough investigating, I've concluded that the possibility of (Y/n) being Kira doesn't exist. Although, I do believe she may have some sort of knowledge on who he may be." It was obvious to (Y/n) that he was trying to evoke a reaction from her by saying what he did.

She was relieved that she was no longer considered to be a suspect of the Kira case and that she wouldn't be under constant watch by the task force. She did, however, worry that if she had to see Light anytime soon she would be put back on the list of potential suspects or accomplices. The girl didn't let L see her worry though; she somehow remained stone-faced and silent. Though her face revealed nothing about her inner thoughts, her mind was racing trying to comprehend how he was able to determine she was innocent, yet associated with the prime suspect from just baking a cake.

As quickly as the thought entered her mind, she dropped it; she was just happy to be cleared. "Starting tomorrow, I can set the wiretaps and cameras up at any time, provided we know when both houses are empty," Watari said to the detective, who was now getting himself out of his chair.

"Perfect," L said to the old man before walking to the kitchen to grab another slice of cake, "now if it's okay with all of you, I would like to discuss something with (Y/n)."

"What's that?" Matsuda asked the detective, clearly intrigued.

"I would like to discuss something with her. Alone."

━━━━━━ ◦ ✤ ◦ ━━━━━━

After Soichiro and the other exited the room, (Y/n) sat down on the edge of the bed, waiting for L to sit beside her. As if she manifested it, the detective awkwardly shuffled into the room holding a plate in each hand. "Cake?" he asked the girl, extending his arm outward to reveal an enormous slice laying on the dish. She smiled at him and grabbed it happily, ready to dig in after the stressful day the task force had just endured.

"So what's up with the whole dropping me as a suspect thing," (Y/n) mumbled, her mouth stuffed with cake. She had a hunch as to why he stopped investigating her; she was the only person who could get him to have a semi-normal sleep schedule, and there's no way he would try to sabotage that. On the other hand, perhaps that isn't a factor whatsoever and he simply grew bored of observing her.

"Well I'll be honest with you, (Y/n)," L said to the girl, "you've been off my list of suspects since the interview, but I had to make sure I was correct before."

"Asshole."

"Would you stop it, I'm not that bad."

She rolled her eyes and flopped back onto the bed, relaxing her body. "So, L, what did you call me in here for," she asked him, closing her eyes, "well, I suppose you didn't call me in here since we both live here for the time being, but you know what I mean."

L looked over at the girl who was now completely sprawled out on the bed; she looked to be in a state of Zen. He chuckled and laid down beside her, closing his eyes like he saw (Y/n) do just moments before. "I just wanted to check up on you," he said to her, "I mean, this case isn't an easy thing to deal with, especially just beginning in this field. Although, I have noticed that your deductive skills are incredible and maybe better than everyone else on this task force. Well, except me, of course."

"Do you need me to call you an asshole again?" (Y/n) sneered.

"You know, you act all tough but I know you don't think I'm an ass."

"And how do you know that?"

"Well, because my deductive skills are better than yours."

"Asshole."

"I suppose I deserved that one, didn't I?"

"One-hundred percent."

Although L would never admit to it, he was extremely content whenever he chatted with (Y/n). He truly believed that she was the first person he developed positive feelings for other than Watari. Sure, he tolerated the task force, but those feelings were nothing like those he felt for the girl lying beside him; she was the first true friend he's ever made, which made her that much more valuable to him.

He turned his head in (Y/n)'s direction and opened his eyes, noticing that hers were still closed. "(Y/n)?" he whispered to the girl.

"Yeah?" she mumbled. It was clear to L that she was on the verge of sleep, barely holding on to consciousness; she didn't have much longer before she was completely asleep, so the detective would have to hurry with his questioning.

"What were you going to say to me earlier? In the kitchen, I mean."

"Oh, that. Right."

"Well?"

"Don't worry about it."

"I'm a detective, you might as well just tell me now before I figure out for myself what it is you wanted to tell me."

"Go for it."

"Who's the asshole now?"

There was no response from (Y/n) after he made that comment. "I'm sorry, (Y/n), I didn't mean to --" the detective was interrupted by a hint of a snore coming from the girl beside him. His lips curled into a small smile as he saw how truly peaceful she looked. Being careful not to wake her, he rolled out of the bed and walked over to her side of the bed.

Reaching down, he cautiously picked her up and moved the covers out of the way so she could be placed underneath them. As he set her down, he pulled the blankets over her chest, making sure her whole body was covered and warm. He then proceeded to get into the bed beside her and laid on his back, thinking of what happened in the kitchen prior to this moment.

In all honesty, the detective was confused; he didn't understand what she wanted to ask him when they had fallen to the ground, nor did he understand why there was a light, queasy feeling in his stomach when she had looked at him from atop his chest. The whole situation was puzzling, yet he enjoyed it.

L's thoughts were interrupted by the (H/c) girl rolling on her side to face him. Mimicking her actions, he was now facing her, pleased with how comfortable he felt. At that moment, he did something he didn't entirely understand; he leaned over and gave her a soft, gentle kiss on her forehead.

The detective wasn't sure why he did what he did, but he knew that in that moment it felt right. "I promise," L whispered to himself, closing his eyes and lacing his fingers with hers, "I will protect you, (Y/n), for as long as I live. Nothing bad will ever happen to you."

━━━━━━ ◦ ✤ ◦ ━━━━━━

A/N: I was gonna go to bed but I really wanted to finish this chapter because I had some really good ideas for some ways to add a little cuteness to the story.

Anyways, please let me know how I'm doing and how you enjoy my writing :)