Chapter 23

L and (Y/n) locked eyes; to her, it looked as if he were analyzing what to do next. The dark-haired detective couldn't reveal anything about Light's bluffing, as that would cause questions as to how he knew. He couldn't act upset or angry about what Light said either, because that would draw suspicion to his relationship with the girl. There was a reason they were keeping their relationship private, and they couldn't risk revealing themselves until Kira was in prison— until Light was in prison.

The (h/c)-haired girl shifted her gaze over to Light, noticing how the lamp next to him adorned his face, making his subtle smirk much more menacing. It was the same smirk he used whenever he knew he was right about something. She had known the boy for a few years now, yet it felt like she didn't know him at all. What he was playing at, she wasn't sure, but whatever it was needed to end as soon as possible; nobody in the task force had time for his games.

"Light," L muttered without moving his stare from (Y/n), "there is to be no affectionate behavior with your girlfriend while we're at work. Outside of work, do what you please but do not bother us with your public displays of affection. They are annoying and quite frankly distracting."

His words resonated through the room, leaving Matsuda, Light, and L all looking back and forth at each other with anger in their eyes. L and Light glared at each other with daggers piercing in their looks, while Matsuda seemed afraid of the pair. All three had a lust— a desire for the girl, but only one was able to have her. It was like she was a steak thrown into a pen with three ravenous lions.

(Y/n) disliked the attention from the others, having never experienced admiration like this before. Though being wanted by so many was a fantasy she had since grade school, she realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. When put into reality, this fantasy was way more overrated than she originally thought it would be. If anything, it was exhausting.

"Can we please get back to work?" (Y/n) muttered, walking to the far corner of the room away from everyone else, "Light, go write your message from the real Kira."

━━━━━━ ◦ ✤ ◦ ━━━━━━

"Ryuzaki, does this look okay?" Light asked the detective, practically shoving the paper in his face, "I think I managed to make it believable."

L picked the paper up in between his index finger and thumb, carefully examining it and reading it over repeatedly.

"I think you've done an excellent job with this. However, if we don't omit the part that says 'you're free to kill L,' then I'm going to end up dead." he muttered.

Light laughed loudly and apologized to the detective. "I guess I got carried away playing the part; I figured if I was him, I'd probably demand that you'd be killed. I was improvising. Feel free to change it to whatever you like."

(Y/n), who was hunched in the corner only listening to the conversation rather than participating, couldn't help but roll her eyes; Light's pathetic attempt to cover up his true feelings as Kira made her laugh. She wondered how the brunette, though intelligent, attractive, and impressive, could be so terrible at acting.

Everybody, even Light has to have flaws. Other than being a serial killer, of course.

Could L see through his tricks?

Surely he wasn't dumb enough to fall for that; however, Light did have a certain charm about him that seemed to wrap many around his finger. Although, these people weren't smart enough to know otherwise, let alone as smart as L.

"That sounds good," L muttered. The dim glow of the moon coming through the window illuminated his face as he peered at the note. The detective set the paper atop the crinkled wrappers on the nightstand and pulled out his phone, quickly dialing a number.
L uttered four words into the phone and two minutes later, a fist tapped at the door.

"I'll get it," (Y/n) said, springing up from her spot on the ground, "oh, hi there."

(Y/n) invited the detective standing at the door inside, to which he responded with a small nod and made his way over to L.

"Okay, Aihara, the script is ready, I'll leave it to you."

"All right," Aizawa responded, taking the letter and quickly leaving the room.

"Light, would you mind following him out? We need to make sure he's safe, after all," L told the brunette, kicking him out in the nicest way possible. Light exited without a word and it was just (Y/n) and L left in the room.

"Come here, darling," the boy mumbled, holding his arms out to embrace (Y/n). He held her tightly, their chests pressed against each other so there was no space between them. L raised his hand to the girl's head, beginning to brush through her hair with his fingers.

"Remember, you did this the first night we met and it instantly put me to sleep," he whispered to the girl as she nodded in response. She could understand how it put the detective to sleep, as her eyelids felt extremely heavy as he continued to comb through her hair.

"Is this comforting? I can tell you were tense back there so—"

"Yes, L, this is nice. Thank you."

She forgot how odd he was sometimes— how he had no concept of human emotion as he had gone numb to any feelings long ago. He was only now beginning to regain these emotions, and it was going to take a while to learn again— even as the world's smartest detective. She wondered how he could survive solely off of logic and not a single drop of empathy.

She also wondered why he had blocked his emotions out so long ago; perhaps it was a response to trauma, or maybe he just never felt any sort of emotions until now. Whatever the reason, she hoped he would share it with her; she didn't plan on prying, no matter how much she wanted to know.

"Aizawa will have the letter delivered and aired tomorrow, but as for now get some sleep. You need it," he murmured.

She thought of objecting, but no words left her mouth. Instead, she nodded softly and nestled her head into the crook of his neck before her eyes grew too heavy for her to hold open any longer.