Chapter 19

The detective stood up and took the young girl's hand, giving it a slight tug; he hoped that this would encourage her to enter the room she had just left. The girl remained silent but didn't seem to struggle. Yes, she was upset, but she trusted L — why would he lead her wrong now?

The door creaked open as the pair let themselves back in. Everyone was still on edge; seeing multiple innocent lives taken tends to do that to a person, after all. The detectives were still gathered around the television, listening to Kira's message.

"Where on earth is Ukita?" L inquired, noticing the empty seat where he once sat. (Y/n) hadn't even noticed his absence, but now that L said something, it was the only thing on her mind.

"He went to stop the broadcast," Matsuda responded, pointing to the TV, "just take a look!"
As if on cue, a police car skidded to a halt in front of the news station, a man flinging the car door open and sprinting to the entrance of the building.

The camera switched angles, now showing him from the side, banging on the glass door and screaming, somehow looking angry, yet concerned at the same time. (Y/n) could make out six of the words he was yelling — "this is the police, open up."

The angle of the video switched again, this time showing the front of Ukita's face. He took a few steps back and pulled out his gun, aiming it at the glass. (Y/n) looked over at L, who was anxiously biting on his nails as he watched the broadcast.

"Why'd he drop his gun?" Matsuda exclaimed, inching closer to the television, "Aizawa, look!"

Aizawa turned his attention over to the TV and saw something he didn't want to — Ukita was lying on the ground, lifeless and cold; he was dead.

"Damn it, Kira did this," Aizawa mumbled in shock, making a beeline for the exit.

"Mr. Aizawa, where are you going?" L grumbled, his eyes remaining on the broadcast.

"Where do you think? I've got to go there."

"You can't. Please think about this rationally."

"What, you want me to just sit here and watch TV?"

"If this truly is the work of Kira, you'll just meet the same fate if you go there."

"You told us that Kira couldn't kill without a name, so how could this happen?"

"The aliases and fake police IDs are worthless, what are we going to do, L?" Matsuda interjected, "you don't think Kira has all our names already, do you?"

The pale boy sighed. "That's a definite possibility," he replied, "however if that's the case, you'd think it'd be easier for him to kill off the entire task force before making a move. Initially, I deduced that Kira needed both a name and a face to kill, but from what we've just seen, I'd say it's not entirely impossible that Kira can kill with only a face.

"All I know for sure is that Kira is either in that TV station, or he's somewhere close by in a place where he can watch everyone who enters the building. Perhaps he's an—"

"If Kira is in the area, then isn't that why we should get down there?" Aizawa shouted at L.

"For all we know, he could have just placed surveillance cameras in the area. If we rush down there unprepared, all of us will be killed."

Aizawa ran up to the raven-haired detective and grabbed onto his baggy sweater, angrily yelling, "wasn't it you who said we'd have to risk our lives to catch Kira?"

"Hey, get off of him!" (Y/n) yelled, giving Aizawa a shove, "he didn't do anything wrong, so stop treating him like he did. He's looking out for your life, damn it!"

"Why do you care so much? You two lovebirds or something?" he yelled back, "for all we know, (Y/n) could be Kira, and L could be her accomplice."

"I meant what I said," L muttered, ignoring the dispute the two detectives just had in front of him "but risking my life to catch Kira and doing something I know will cost me my life are two entirely different things.

"Please control yourself. We've lost Ukita. I understand you want to go there but if something was to happen to you as well—"

(Y/n) finally began to understand how truly dangerous this mission was; with an alias, she felt safe, but after watching Ukita die without a name needed, she now feared more than ever for her life. If it came down to it, she would sacrifice herself to stop Kira, but that doesn't mean the thought still doesn't scare her.

"I now await a response from the police. They must decide whether or not they'll help me create a better world for all of us. Please announce your decision on the 6'oclock news in four days. I've prepared two videos, one to be aired if the answer is yes and another if the answer is no," the television hummed in the background. (Y/n) was too distracted to fully pay attention to what was being said.

There was one thing, however, that brought the girl's focus back to the broadcast. "A vehicle has just driven through the front doors of the station," the TV announced.

"It can't be..." (Y/n) mumbled.

"That's one way to get into the building without being seen by Kira," L muttered, his eyes still never leaving the screen.

"But who would—?" Aizawa asked, forgetting to finish the question.

"It has to be him," (Y/n) answered immediately, "Soichiro, it has to be him."

━━━━━━ ◦ ✤ ◦ ━━━━━━

"So these are the Kira tapes?" (Y/n) inquired as she plopped down on the couch beside her boyfriend, picking up one of the VHS's in the bag that Chief Yagami brought back with him.

It was just the two of them in front of the television now; the other detectives had either gone home to their families or were across the hall getting some sleep after a long and gruesome day.

"They are. They're something special, and could be a tremendous help to the Kira case," L responded, "we need to watch these tapes to see if they can tell us anything."

"But L, it's so late," (Y/n) yawned, "can't we do this tomorrow?" The girl wasn't used to running on zero sleep like L was; he was wired to be able to stay up for three or four days straight, while she could only do about two days max. Even caffeine, which at one time helped her hugely, now had little impact on her at all. She was beat.

"I can't wait that long, love," he whispered to her, kissing her cheek, "you're welcome to stay and sleep, but I have to get this done before tomorrow."

"You need to give yourself a break sometimes, L. It's not healthy to go as long as you do without sleeping."

"On the contrary, my dear, this is the best I've ever felt. I slept just the other night, remember that?"

"I know, but people are designed to sleep every night, not every two or three nights, silly."

"I'm not silly. I'm a detective, I have no time for that."

The young girl rolled her eyes and shuffled closer to L, nestling her head onto his shoulder. "I'm going to try and watch these with you," she uttered, "but no promises I'll stay awake through all of it. I'm exhausted."

"That's okay. I'm just happy to have the company," he spoke, stroking her hair, "detective work gets lonely sometimes, but it's nice having you by my side."