Chapter 3

"I wanted to tell you I recommended you to my dad to work on the Kira case and he wants to know when you can start."

These words played on a loop in (Y/n)'s head. It didn't make sense to her that Light would recommend her for the job. She was young, inexperienced, and overall way too doubting of herself for a job like this so early in her career. The only logical explanation was one that went  off of the idea that Light was in fact Kira.

If Light were Kira, then it would be obvious he has some sort of hidden motive that he wouldn't so freely share. Two ideas popped into (Y/n)'s head about why he would want her working the case. Reason one being, to get close enough to L so that she could help Light kill him. Reason two would be to help him get away with his murders. When it came to Light, he always thought about himself before anything else.

But Light couldn't be Kira, could he?

He wouldn't murder anyone.

That's what (Y/n) thought, anyways. From the time she's known Light, she always got a good impression of him: he's at the top of his class grade-wise, he's pretty popular within the school, and he has a loving, supportive family. His life is the perfect example of what every kid wants their high school experience to be like. So why would he screw that up and start murdering people like crazy?

Logically, to (Y/n) it didn't make sense for Light to be Kira. Not one bit. However, she still couldn't shake the feeling that somehow he was involved with the killings. She let out an exasperated exhale.

"You okay?" Light asked her.

Light. I almost forgot he was still here.

The corners of her mouth raised upwards into a small smile. She couldn't completely rule out the possibility of Light being the notorious killer no matter how much she wanted to. She just had to act normal so he wouldn't suspect anything or make a move if he's truly Kira.

"Yeah, sorry," (Y/n) managed to get out, "I'm just a bit shocked is all."

"I could see why," Light said with a grin going ear-to-ear.

"So, your dad wants me on the team, huh? What did you tell him about me to convince him?"

Light paused for a moment before responding, "Well, I told him your grades are impeccable of course, as well as your abilities to deduce anything, and how confident you are in these abilities."

She had to think about this for a moment. Becoming a part of this task force had incredibly large risks to it, and the odds seemed to fall into Kira's favor since he can kill without being present. However, this would be an excellent opportunity for her to show the world what she's capable of. With all of this in mind, (Y/n) was able to come up with a response for Light.

"So," she began, "when can I start?"

━━━━━━ ◦ ✤ ◦ ━━━━━━

It had been seven days since Light had stopped by the (L/n) household, which meant that today was the day (Y/n) was starting her first-ever job working with the ICPO. She knew that working over there most likely meant countless nights without sleep, lots of stress, and way too much overthinking. However, this is what she signed up for, and she's willing to accept it.

(Y/n) walked grabbed an overnight bag just in case she would be there for a while working on the Kira investigation and began walking to the Teito Hotel to meet L and the other police officers who would be working alongside her. It was strange, but she almost felt like she was being watched even though the streets were completely empty. She continued walking, however, but looked at all the houses she was passing. When she got to Light's, she could see him writing away in the window. He was always obsessive about his school work.