Chapter 6

Brilliant rays of sunshine pierced through the windows, filling the room with light. (Y/n) opened her eyes and groaned, wishing she was able to sleep a bit longer. She looked down at her lap and noticed the detective's presence was no longer there. As weird as it seemed to her, that was probably the best and most sleep she's gotten in a while.

"You're up," said an all too familiar voice, standing in the doorway with what looked like a tray of desserts. "And you slept for the first time in your life," (Y/n) remarked. She prayed that he wouldn't tell the other detectives about what had happened that night. Although it was safe to say that nobody would think anything of it, she still didn't want to give them the impression that she cared for L.

In all honesty, (Y/n) found L to be incredibly irritating, and he would be lucky if he was even considered to be a friend. She didn't trust the detective still; he had shown his face, yes, but it would take a lot more than that to put her trust in him. To her, he was just another acquaintance and she seriously doubted he would be anything other than that.

"You're just as friendly as usual, (Y/n)" he grumbled, sitting down in his usual odd position, "I brought breakfast." L pointed to the assortment of pastries and coffee he had set down on the table in front of them.

"Oh, I'm not hungry, thanks," she said, turning down his offer. Truth be told, she was starving but she couldn't let him win. Sure, it was petty, but to (Y/n), it was like they were playing a game, and she knew the both of them hated to lose. If she accepted his offer, she would be admitting defeat by not being her usual, cold self around the detective: the only side she had shown him to prove she wouldn't work for him, but rather alongside him. If she refused his offer, she would be hungry but at least it would show him that she couldn't be easily persuaded by a few sweets.

"Eat," he said sternly, staring the (H/c) girl directly in the eyes. This sent shivers down (Y/n)'s spine; something about that stare was incredibly unsettling. Her stomach growled and she realized that she was no longer able to keep up the act that she didn't want anything to eat. The raven-haired detective smirked and slowly pushed the tray of food closer to (Y/n).

He knows he's won.

"And since when are you my mother?" (Y/n) scoffed, turning to L, " I mean, I'm responsible, can't I make my own decisions?"

"More for me," he shrugged, pulling the sweets away from her.

"Fine, pass me a muffin."

"Oh, but then I'll be mothering you, and we wouldn't want that, would we?"

"L, give me the fucking muffin."

"Language, miss (L/n)."

"Now you do sound like my mother."

L chuckled at her remark and slid a muffin over in her direction: blueberry. It was her favorite flavor. She supposed she could lose to L. Just this once.

━━━━━━ ◦ ✤ ◦ ━━━━━━

"I'm sorry for the wait," L apologized, "and I apologize for questioning you all like that, but I'm afraid I had no other choice. I've determined that Kira is not among us."

"Ryuzaki, how can you be certain that we're all innocent?" Soichiro asked the detective.

"Well, to be honest, from the beginning I set a number of traps that would reveal if any of you was Kira. But after speaking with you one-on-one, I don't feel the need."

Just then, L's cell phone rang and he answered.

Unbelievable. He tells us to turn off our cellphones but doesn't bother with his.