6. Bed of Grass

Red blinked. He snapped a little didn't he—said a little too much. He did that sometimes, scared Wendy like that often when they were preteens with his incessant rambling. And he just met you too, you two not even talking for most of that time. He felt close to you though despite all that, indebted to you somehow.

He half expected you to feign pity, maybe even give him the gift of actual pity or even disgust with how he just dumped all of his trauma on you suddenly. He was expecting at least once of those outcomes, yet he got something rather different than all three.

Sweetness maybe, empathy perhaps. He hadn't felt cared for since he was little—the only time he was allowed to be near his mother's loving touch.

"I don't know if this is something you want to hear." You said gently. "I cannot begin to fathom how you felt in those moments, I cannot begin to understand how that event had impacted you now."

How could you sound so remorseful, so guilty like it was your hand who did those atrocities? Why did you eyes gaze upon him so tenderly. "I want you to know that I'll try protect you—that I will protect you." Those words...those words. It was like a pit formed in his gut—deep and heavy, yet warm and fuzzy. "I'll protect you and your brother with my life." You said, sitting up. You had this expression on your face. Ambition, you had a purpose.

"Why?" Red whispered. When was the last time anyone had did anything like that in meant it. Would you really put your livelihood on the line for him, a man you just met? Then again, even though he had only recently met you, he felt connected to you in a special way. Maybe you felt the same as him.

"Because you're my friend." You said confidently. "Right?"

Blooming, he felt like a flower blooming in the spring. You considered him a friend, truly?

"We are." Red laughed awkwardly. He fanned himself a little, shaking his head. Not even the cool breeze could cool his flushed skin. "I don't need protecting, okay? I just don't want you to get—"

"I won't." Such certainty, such conviction.

He wished you weren't so careless. He heard that you held yourself in a similar manner during your fight. However, those women are nothing compared to the evil that resides in the royal family. You couldn't possibly be prepared for how low they could become if need be.

"You don't know that..."A (e/c) gaze pierced Red as you stared at him through your eyelashes. The wind blows slightly, the sound of the breeze against Red's ears doing nothing to tone out the sound of his fast beating heart. You extended both of your hands towards him.

"I won't do anything rash." You reassured. "I promise."

Red visibly relaxed, his shoulders slouching as he hesitantly took your extended hands in his. "Good–"

"Unless it's necessary of course." You said dryly.

Red didn't know what's to say until you laughed. It was a joke, goodness it was a joke.

"Understand that I plan on keeping my word." The wind blew once again. The sun's light shown upon your skin in a way that made your skin glow. You looked down at Red and in the most sincere tone of voice, you spoke your promise once again.

"I will protect you."

Suddenly, Red felt the urge to laugh. It bubble in his throat, as he took deep breaths to suppress the need. "At your own expense?" he thought. He wanted to ask you if that were a wise decision, that if it was sensible to risk yourself for two mere servants. On the other hand, he felt happy that he had anyone who would do something like that for him and his brother.