16. Forgotten

Warning!!! I did very little proofreading. I'm very very sleep so I will be back to clean this up. For now, enjoy this!

Prince Theodora ate his lunch in the solitude of his study. It was the first time in days that he was able to have a meal alone. He was often forced to have tea or walk with other candidates that interested his parents. However this time, his schedule was relatively empty. He could finally think to himself without the interruption of his boisterous father, the mental manipulation of his mother, and the shallow antics of the women who wanted to marry him.

He could finally go over all that has happened so he could process them properly.

First and foremost was Ruth, who was a constant reminder of what used to be. Theodora would sometimes see glimpses of her fiery red hair in the corner if his eye. She was often followed by a flash of pink. He was sure she was stalking him. Theodora knew that she didn't approve of his choice in women, but he also knew that she would never approve of anyone even if he chose her to be his wife.

Because she wanted him to be with Elena.

He wished her could send her home, but the Vannarose family have been close to the royal bloodline for literal centuries. To put it simply, he doubted his father would let him disqualify her so easily.

Then there was you. You were a commoner, that was obvious. You had this rough charm about you. You were from a place very much unlike Theodora's own. One where the sky looked like it belonged in another dimension, and where the weakest people could not strive. You, a woman without a spark, survived just fine in an environment that would surely kill even the strongest knight in the royal army. It was intriguing and he found that his heart would begin to speed up in pace at the thought of knowing more and more about you.

He also had this urge to ask you about your hobbies. He was sure the things you liked doing would be much different than his own, but it sounded like a fun conversation and he was willing to try new things.

Theodora shook his head. He was getting side tracked, but he couldn't help it when it came to you. He wanted to give everyone a fair chance but it was getting so hard when you interested him the most. You were just so full of information about a place he had never been to, how could he not be intrigued. He placed his head on his wooden desk. He had only eaten a tiny bit of his custard tart and his tea had grown room temp. There was a knock on the door and he sighed a "come in" without a thought.

In walked his two retainers, Dorian and Gilli. Dorian looked exasperated and Gilli looked oddly pleased with himself. Though they both had drastically different facial expressions, they also looked quite lively.

Theodora sat up straight, running his hands through his hair to fix any strands that had come loose. He shifted his eyes too look up at the two men, focusing his attention more on Dorian. "How'd things go today?" Theodora asked calmly. "Bad?"

"I'd say yes and no, your highness." Dorian began. Theodora raised his hand, stoping Dorian from continuing. The servant looked confused for a moment, his eyes urging Theodora to clarify.

"It must've been something since you forgot your manners huh?" Theodora said. Dorian fought the urge to roll his eyes, begrudgingly lowering himself into a bow. Gilli, who got the message a few seconds later, followed suit.

Theodora nodded in approval. "There you go." He said mockingly. "So then, how was it? Why are you back so early?"

Dorian stifled a groan, straightening his face before he lifted his head. "The clothing were a perfect fit for her." He began. "However, it seemed that she did not have any lessons of her own. No teachers, no mentors."