7. The Aftermath of Fury

No pictures today

"Remember, whatever happens, happens. We will all be proud of you as long as you try your hardest." You eldest sister, Cari, said before you both walked out into the field. The locals from the nearest town had built a platform in the very center of some farmland owned by the richest family in the district. Though, rich just meant that they sold a lot of crops every year.

You and your sisters fought viciously, Feres disqualified herself after she grew bored with fighting. She was good at dodging and she would wait until her opponent was tired before she would strike. She just grew tired of eating apparently.

Cari, on the other hand, seemingly shined even brighter than ever before. She was fast, almost abnormally strong, and her spark was very powerful. It was a water spark, like your mother's. She could pull water from the air. Additionally, she could also make the water extremely hot and turn it into steam. She gave a girl blistering burns at one point, not caring if she had hurt her classmates from school or her friends. And the people watching didn't like that fact, that she was hurting her people and causing near permanent scars on them. Knowing that people were growing to dislike her winning streak didn't stop her though.

Cari continued to try hard, sacrificing her whole self for this moment...

And then you...

"You... you won?" Cari said looking up at you with an expression of incredulousness. She was on her knees, both of you covered in splinters from the wood of the platform and bruises. You huffed, trying to catch your breath as you gazed upon your sister. She looked afraid, confused.

You couldn't have just beat her just like that could you? That's was what you figured she was thinking. You have no spark, so you couldn't have won. You cheated didn't you? There was no way...

"Foul play!" She yelled. Her voice was raspy and over used from her war cries. She tried to stand. Despite her efforts, she only wobbled on her sore feet and fell back to her knees. And she did it over and over again. The people, your people, were quiet. No one was smiling or chatting like they were during the fights.

You saw your parents looking at you from the stands. Such an accusation was a serious thing. Honor was the most important where you lived. It was always recommended to take responsibility for your actions and accept your mistakes. And no one liked a cheater.

You were hurt, you were more scared than you sister was. If people believed her, you would be hated surely. And why was your sister willing to put you through that? Why would you sister accuse you of that?

"Cari–"

"I was supposed to win! I was supposed to bring our people glory." She bit her lip. She looked down at her scraped up palms. She was catching droplets? She was crying...? "How can someone like you beat me, (y/n)? What did you do, overdose on strength elixirs?" Cari's voice was low, but you knew everyone heard her question. You had to protect yourself, you had to do something—anything. She said you didn't have to show mercy. You had been showing mercy the whole time. Now, you would end that.

"I demand a rematch."

"No." You said. You had never heard you voice resonate like that. You voice was venomous and sharp, yet also calm and booming like a thunderstorm. She had never heard you take a tone like that before, she had never seen that look on your face before. "I won, Cari. Everyone saw."

"How do I know you didn't do something to make yourself—"

"Can't you see how pathetic you are being?" You asked her blankly. You didn't want to be so cold, you really didn't, but you and her both knew that it was the only way out of the fire she lit under you. You couldn't let people think you were weak, not anymore. "You underestimated me and I won. Take your loss."