1. The Surprise of the Century

I finally can say that I own the art. What a day!

__________________

The country of Syoora was has been around for thousands years. Most of those years, the country had been governed by a king. However, there was something simply magnificent about the country itself. For one, the kingdom had been blessed by a divine god. Said god blessed the first king and the people loyal to that king. Thus began The Divine Expansion.

Syoora was a place where the citizens prided themselves on the skills that were given to them by the serpant god Syoor. Those skills being genetic magical abilities that were woven into them and their new generations. It was truly amazing because before the dragon, people could only go as far as alchemy. Now, there was a sole country with people born with unique abilities that could range from anything.

People were content with their inherited abilities, not making any moves to venture out nor improve it. And why would they ever seek to improve it? It wasn't learned from tombs, nor did it require an incantation or a sacrifice of any sort. It was free power.

Theses magical manifestations were called Sparks,

What was more was that because the first generation of Spark users were loyal to the king at that time, their powers made eradicating those who were not loyalist fairly easy. That genocide that followed the divine blessing was called The Divine Expansion. Those who survived, native countrymen and the surviving traitors of the king were forced to migrate to the neighboring island of Grenwaal.

And of course, after that, the Kingdom was ruled with fear.

Those who had destructive abilities where usually knighted and those knights were said to be corrupt and cruel. The nobility also possessed sparks of grand magnitude, usually being the full control of an element of some sort. All of the noble houses were granted a district of land, where they ruled their territories like they were micro nations.

And all was well and good.

Until where you were currently.

You were born in a fairly infamous area within the country. Out of all 27 districts, you were in district 5, which was one of the most underdeveloped, and considerably dangerous districts in the country. It was almost boiling hot during the day and freezing cold during the night. The animals were aggressive and far more intelligent; and the nightly creatures, under the red moon, were man eating beasts.

It was a direct result of a curse that befell the once peaceful art district, a curse granted upon the land by the long dead king, King Roul in his early adult life.

Because of the conditions, the strongest, most desensitized, and sturdy people lived in the district. People that were farmers, musicians, and artisans at the time of the curse were forced to kill almost everyday to stay alive. Over the centuries, the descendants of those humble people leveled the animal population, and eventually everything calmed down just enough for the area to be habitable. Everyone did their part to keep the area livable and what was left were hardened and seasoned warriors who valued honor, sincerity, and strength above all else.

So when the current king announced his son's sixteenth birthday everyone was in an uproar.

The kingdom had a very immoral tradition.

There was a event, an event that only happened every couple hundred years, maybe even longer than that. The Choosing was what it was called, and it was a way to help the next king chose his next queen. The Syoorian Royals lived for very long periods with the blood of the serpant god flowing directly through their veins. What usually happened was that the king and queen would rule for a couple hundred years or more, and then they'd have children whenever they felt ready.