9. El

Ruth watched from the second floor window along with a pink haired woman as you happily spoke to the prince. The red haired woman frowned, her eye brows furrowed.

"He's such a liar." Ruth said to the pink haired woman beside her. She sighed, slouching. "He such a fu– he's just. This isn't what we agreed on Xana."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean he's been nothing but a goddamn coward!" Ruth took a deep breath, turning her vibrant blue eyes towards her startled companion. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay!" Xana replied quickly. She smiled at her red headed friend.

"I just don't believe she should be here." Ruth turned her gaze back to you. The queen was there this time, talking to you with a smile. "She doesn't deserve to be here. Someone from from her district told me that she was a danger to others." Ruth mumbled. "And I don't want Theo to get hurt by someone that twisted."

"Danger?" Xana asked absently. "She seemed nice when I met her?"

Ruth shook her head, surprised by Xana's naïveté. She looked at her, a women she had befriended after the first night in the palace.

This woman, Xana, had been the only one to comfort her when she was crying after Prince Theodora had snapped at her. It could have been her ignorance that made her so nice or maybe it was all a ruse, but it was just refreshing to meet someone who was just flat out kind to her. It was after a day that Ruth realized that Xana was not capable to faking something like that.

Because she was a dunce. A strong, very capable, dunce.

"Some people can be kind on the outside and rotten on the inside." Ruth explained. "Even so, the prince made a promise to me. And now he's acting like it never happened."

Xana tilted her head, urging her friend to go on. Ruth sighed, her mouth going dry. Her eyes stung a little when she thought about it.

"He promised that he'd–"

"Clearly, he's breaking that promise though huh?" A male voice echoed through the hall. Ruth spun in the direction of the voice, coming face to face with a cloaked figure. He definitely wasn't there before. "Challenge her. Force the prince to comply." She could not see his face, nor his body, but she could hear his voice. It was smooth, intoxicating even.

It swirled around her brain, gripped her attention in iron chains.

"Why not try and put your rank as a champion on the line. You're clearly stronger, so why not go for it?" The figure spoke. "You have nothing else to lose, do you?"

"Go for it?" Ruth said. Her eyes went blank. "I could even kill her."

"Smart girl."

"Ruth?" Xana said gently, putting her hand gently on her friend's shoulder.

Ruth took her eyes off the figure for only a seconds. When she looked back, there was no one there. "I..."Ruth's eyes widen, her blue iris regaining their shine. "I have to go talk to someone." She breathed out, rushing down the hall.

All Xana could do was watch her, confused as to what had startled her so much.

________________