14. High Horse

It's finals week! Atm, I want to blow up, but I can't combust until after Christmas so for now, I'll just be here. I hope you guys enjoy what my smooth brain just popped out.

Your eyes widened as you looked at the girl before you. She played with one of the beads in her hair, smiling softly. The way she looked, relaxed and happy, was a look your greatly wanted to imitate. You thought about a time when you didn't have to wish for such a feeling. But that was so long ago that you were beginning to lose your memories of it. All you could remember was training and fighting.

Then again, you supposed you knew what you were getting into.

"You..."You breathed. "You dropped out?"

She nodded, swaying from side to side. "I did."

So many questions ran through your mind. But the biggest one was, "Why? Why'd you do that?"

She placed her finger on her lip, looking up as if she were deep in thought. He knowing smile betrayed her though. "I just wanted to be...free I suppose."

Free? How was she not free? She was given the chance of a lifetime. She shouldn't let all that died for this moment die in vain. The people she killed to be here... the people that died just to have the opportunity she just threw away.

How doesn't she feel shamed? Where was her honor?

"Don't you have any goals?" You asked, your eyes scanning her face for any signs of regret. There was none, not a single one. Unfathomable...

"I wanted money." She grinned. "And now I'm making it." Your jaw went slack and she giggled into her hand.

"I just can't comprehend..." Was she not a noble? Doesn't she have money back home anyway? Thinking about that, you wanted to get angry, you wanted to ask her how she could even think about money when there were so many bigger things have fixed in your country.

"You and I are similar you know." The woman interrupted. "I am half Grenian." She paused, her smile growing smaller. "Even though I am from district 14, it is like people can sense that I am different."

"You're half Grenian? I could not tell..."

"We do not look very different from Syoorians, yet they call us subhuman. In that aspect, I suppose I could say you and I are the same. However, your presence..." The woman pursed her lips, lowering her head. "Your presence distracted the others from me and in turn, you took the brunt of the insults."

You could understand why she did not help you when Ruth called you out. She probably didn't say a word when the others talked about you behind your back. If she brought attention to herself trying to defend you, a stranger to her, then she would have made herself a target.

However, that doesn't excuse the fact that she dropped out of the competition. If she had become Queen, she could have repaired relations with Grenwal and Syoora. She could have money and make whatever changes she pleased. So it just did not make sense to just drop out.

It didn't help that you felt someone else could have taken her place. She didn't have to compete, but she did, and she took the place of someone who probably had goals way harder to reach without this fine opportunity.

"You still look confused." She said. "What's confusing you?"

"Don't you have money?" You asked. "Being a noble and—"

"Bold of you to assume that I am a noble?" She said, crossing her arms. "How'd you come to that conclusion?"

"We'll I just... everyone else..."

"Everyone else but you right? You're different like that right?" She rolled her eyes.

You closed your mouth, your eyebrows furrowing. What was that supposed to mean?