twenty six

"What is out there?" Lisa whispered, turning slightly to face Chaeyoung. They'd spent the day together, and were currently lying on their backs, looking up at the sky. Chaeyoung had spread a blanket out in their corner of the park so they could watch the sunset. Which eventually turned into watching the stars slowly dot their way across the sky.

"Out where?" Chaeyoung asked, still staring up at the sky. Lisa pointed upwards.

"In the sky. There has to be more, right?" The younger girl studied Chaeyoung's face once more. She found the older girl much more interesting than the stars.

"No one knows," Chaeyoung finally turned to look at Lisa, earning a soft smile from the girl. "I think that's what makes looking up at the stars so magical. There's so much out there that we don't know about yet."

"It is scary," Lisa scooted closer to Chaeyoung and laid her head on her shoulder.

"Nah," Chaeyoung shook her head. "We're safe down here, Lili" she snaked an arm around Lisa's waist and gazed back up at the sky. "The stars just remind us that we're not alone."

"I am not alone," Lisa nodded once. "I have you."

"You have me," Chaeyoung confirmed, smiling softly at Lisa.

"And you have me," Lisa smiled widely and turned over to her side, propping herself up with her elbow so she could study Chaeyoung's face. "You and me, right?"

"Me and you," Chaeyoung nodded once and winked at Lisa. The younger girl giggled and let her hair hang down in front of her face.

"Hey, don't do that," Chaeyoung laughed softly and reached out to tuck Lisa's hair behind her ear. "Don't hide your beautiful face."

"I am beautiful?" Lisa tilted her head to the side, as if beauty was a foreign concept to her. Chaeyoung raised an eyebrow and turned so she too, was now on her side.

"I think everyone's beautiful," she began, reaching out and twirling a piece of Lisa's hair around her finger. "But there's just something about you that makes you special," Chaeyoung smiled softly. "Special to me."

"I am happy here," Lisa sighed softly, turning back over on her back and looking up at the sky. "It is a new feeling, but I do like it."

"It's a new feeling?" Chaeyoung bit her lip, thinking back to Lisa's old journal entries. The girl had constantly wished for happiness, hoping that some day in the future she could find it.

"Yes," Lisa nodded, continuing to gaze up at the stars. "Before... there were bad things. And bad people. It was hard to be happy," she turned to Chaeyoung and pursed her lips. "But there is happiness here, I have found it."

Chaeyoung's breath caught in her throat when Lisa reached out and placed her hand above Chaeyoung's heart. "There is happiness here. With you," Lisa smiled contently. "I am home."

"Home?" Chaeyoung asked, finding it hard to form a coherent sentence. She was thankful it had grown dark, so the younger girl couldn't seen the overwhelming blush on her cheeks.

"Yes, home," Lisa nodded. "I looked for a home. Before you," she sat up and turned so she was facing Chaeyoung. "But I could not find it. Because even happy houses have sad people, did you know that?"

Chaeyoung nodded softly, beginning to understand what Lisa meant.

"I did not understand how happy houses could have sad people," Lisa continued. Chaeyoung reached out and took the Thai girl's hand in her own.

"I thought a happy house could be a home. But if there were sad people, I could not find home," Lisa thought for a moment and looked down at their hands. "But I found you." She traced her eyes up to Chaeyoung's face.