Chapter 15: Aphrodisiac

Damon

Maybe I really did need that fucking prescription, because Ariadne did not take her eyes off of me as if I was going to burn her kitchen and took in every single move, leaving me hyper-aware of those browns trained on me.

Ariadne knew why I loved cooking. My mother had taught me, as her way of connecting with me and instill some humanity in me because she knew that one day, I'd be taking over after my father.

A profoundly warm and feeling made its way into my chest at Ariadne's unabashed ogling, because fuck–I wanted to impress the shit out of her.

As time went on, she argued with me about everything and my sister didn't bother coming back out of the room. Subtlety had never really been her strong point.

"So tell me, Silence, how's work?" Ariadne asked me with a coy smile.

A half-smile pulled at my lips. "Going phenomenally."

"Oh? How much money did you launder today?"

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Oh, sorry. Was that not on the schedule?" She feigned a pout. "Well, how many people did you waterboard then?"

She chuckled at my unemotional expression.

"And you, princess?"

She looked surprised and I didn't blame her. I never started conversation. Well, when I was not around her, apparently.

Bella had gotten into my head. My little diva had a way of doing that.

"It's alright. The usual."

"Didn't save any babies today?"

"You know I don't perform life-saving procedures every day, right? It's a lot of cold and cough check-ups and over-concerned parents. I'm just a doctor." She smirked behind her glass.

"Just a doctor is not a valid statement. Your work is noble," I said, carefully looking at her face to gauge her reaction. Either the initial surprise hadn't worn off or it was replaced with new surprise but bottom line, she was surprised.

"Your compliments will get to my head, Damon," she mocked. "Why do you call me princess?"

I hid a smile. "Just something about it suits you."

"Do I really seem like that spoiled brat type? Frilly frocks and all?"

My eyes wandered to her living room, currently splayed with a shopping expedition that costed more than most people made in a year. She winced.

"You should at least buy me a tiara if you're going to keep calling me that."

"I'll keep that in mind when I make your Christmas list later this year," I drawled.

"Yeah, prioritize it over that sharp knife," she deadpanned. 

"That's not on my list. I don't need you stabbing me in the middle of the night," I informed her, only half-joking.

"Silly. The poisoned banana bread will take care of that."

"Ah, so it is poisoned," I grinned. "Got ya, princess."

She threw her head back and laughed again, so freely that it made my chest clench.

"Are you this kind to everyone, pretty boy?" She asked.

"I'm a very nice person," I deadpanned. She raised an eyebrow. "Some even call me the epitome of kindness."

"Well, send them to me so I can get them a head CT but regardless, you are not nice to me," she challenged. "You never even speak to me. In all my years of knowing you, this is the longest conversation we have ever had."