Chapter 16: Hidden Magazines

Ariadne

Dinner went smoothly, just a normal one with friends. If you were friends with Damon Hale.

Was I now friends with Damon Hale?

There was constant chatter and laughter and even small friendly arguments littered in between. The food was delicious. I was a proud woman but even I had to admit, it was infinitely better than I could have ever made. Being Bella's sister, I could cook decently well but she and Damon had natural talent.

We teased Robyn relentlessly about her upcoming date (she blushed profusely), harassed Christian about when he was finally getting married (never), interrogated Damon for details about what his life was really like (he was unrelenting with his answers), and my dating life came under speculation as well.

"Let's talk about someone else's very special date soon," I sing-songed, nudging her. Under the glass table, Christian's fists curled ever so slightly but he just pushed his plate slightly toward Robyn. He'd piled up all the olives in one corner. Instinctively, Robyn took them all.

"Don't change the topic, Ariadne," she blushed. "Seriously though, you should get back out there. Your younger sister is married."

I rolled my eyes, because getting back out there from her meant me dating her brother. Involuntarily, I glanced at Damon, whose gaze was drilling holes into me.

"Well, that's because no one could keep Francis from Bella even with a cannon. But anyway, nobody wants to ask me out. What am I supposed to do?" I chuckled, knowing I did have a date lined up soon. But I had a feeling if I told anyone at this table, they would eat me alive. I would tell Robyn, of course. Just not in front of the alpha males.

Also, currently wasn't sure if I wanted to give Damon that kind of ammunition against me. Besides, if Damon really wanted to know something, he could snap his fingers and have that information in less than minute.

Damon raised an eyebrow in amusement, as if to say I did. You turned me down. In that moment, I probably would have leapt across the table and told him to take me anywhere he wanted if he would just kiss me properly.

"It's the 21st century, princess. You can ask someone out too," he taunted.

"And what about you, Damon? How is the dating life of the dashing New York bachelor with a passion for pain and a mysterious but dazzling smile? Or at least, that's what the magazines say." I tilted my head to look at him, not particularly caring about the audience in the room.

We almost kissed and we were still bickering.

"That sounded pretty well rehearsed. Got a lot of clippings of me in your room?" Damon looked thoroughly amused, like our banter energized him.

"More like in the trash."

"Good, because the real deal is much better, I assure you–"

"Doubt it," I interrupted.

"–but, I suppose for now, you can keep those paparazzi photos of me under your pillow, dreaming."

"Think about my bed a lot?"

"Think about my dating life a lot?"

So, there was a dating life?

"For entertainment purposes only, of course."

My voice was curt. I almost didn't recognize the jealousy in it. If he said he was dating someone, was hoping to date someone, or ever did date someone, I felt the unexpected need to hunt this girl down and make her regret the day she ever met Damon Hale. The logical part of my brain reminded me that Damon didn't date and still just the idea of him thinking of other women made me violent. The jealousy must have travelled to my eyes because he gave me a challenging smirk and settled back into his chair, taking his time to answer.