Chapter 25: Heartbreak

Ariadne

Desperate to get tabloids to stop talking about my alleged romance with Damon, I threw myself into work. But the lack of public activity on my part raised even more speculation as stories about our apparent childhood romance, what we were doing, and what he was like in bed continued to circulate.

I'd avoided the weekly dinners for almost a month and my family had not stopped trying to get me to come to them, including showing up at my apartment and knocking relentlessly. Damon reached out once with an invitation to talk, the day I stormed out of his place leaving him with nothing but a note.

Damon: I told you I will always listen and I hope you will too.

Since then, I'd received radio silence from him, since I hadn't bothered to respond to his message. I hadn't expected him to grovel, and certainly didn't want him to because then I'd have to talk to him, and that idea seemed so utterly reprehensible that my throat closed just thinking about it.

My father thinking I was a mistake was enough. I didn't need him to think so too.

Robyn called me over and over, at least once every day, but I didn't pick up because she could make anyone do anything with that sweet smile and honey voice and I wasn't strong enough to deny her.

Bella showed up at my apartment with greasy takeout that she hated and we watched bad romantic comedies. I knew it was killing her, but Bella was loyal to a fault. She loved Damon more than most people in this world, but she also loved me. Even if it was crushing her heart and soul to see us on such bad terms, she'd show up for me. I had no doubt she was showing up for him too.

Francis called to ask if I'm okay. The two of us were better friends than people realized. We'd also known each other since we were kids and spent a good deal of time together, in the group and out. While I helped him win my sister over, we became very close. My conversation with him was surprisingly interesting. Francis had an eerie ability to know people's deepest darkest secrets and he had that talent on full display when we spoke on the phone.

"You two will be okay. You guys were always meant to be," he said nonchalantly.

"What does that mean?"

"The only two people who don't know you guys are meant for one another are you and Damon," he chuckled.

"You're insane. I never spoke to him when we were kids and he avoided me like the fucking plague."

He laughed softly. "When we were kids, he always had this silent war raging with himself. He'd look at you when you weren't looking at him, which was always because you never cared about him and thought he hated you. Man had his eyes constantly glued on you whenever you were in the same room. I had no fucking idea why he was always fighting this internal battle because he so obviously wanted to be around you all the time. He was infatuated. He had to try to stay away. He did all kinds of things for you that I won't divulge because it's not my place–"

"Tell me now," I interrupted, knowing it was pointless. Francis listened to no one.

"–but you guys will find your way back to one another. I'm calling it."

"And if I didn't want to?"

He let out a breath. "Why are you fighting this so hard?"

"He called me a mistake," I said softly.

"He made a mistake saying that, and I assure you, the last couples times I've seen him, he looks like fucking shit because of it. Give him a chance. Have I ever been wrong before?"