Chapter 35: Ice

Ariadne

A knock sounded at my door. I looked at my calendar, a little confused because I had a break from patients for an hour and was supposed to have some time to get work done.

Though, I loved seeing patients. Kids were my favorite, and though most people in medicine usually shied away from pediatrics because there was nothing more heartbreaking than losing a child, I always tried to focus on the good I could do as one.

"Come in?" I said, with a questioning tone, smoothing the fabric of my pencil skirt.

I hated the days I wasn't on rounds because on those days, I got to wear my normal scrubs with cartoon characters on it so the kids would feel more comfortable.

The door opened and my heart soared.

I didn't think I would ever get used to seeing Damon, because he took my breath away every single time. Dark brown hair above those sharp, almost harsh features that made him stand out from conventional beauty. Tall, enormous, and commanding, but with the intrigue of someone who held loads of secrets and could get a full detailed file on all your sins with the snap of his fingers. He probably looked like that because he could.

My moral conscience knew that there was so much wrong with a doctor being involved with someone who treated the law so flippantly, but there was absolutely nothing that would keep me away from the job I loved so much and even more, from him.

"Hi, pretty boy," I grinned, standing up to meet him.

With an easy smile, he said, "Princess."

He laughed when I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tight, as if I hadn't seen him just that morning. "What are you laughing at?"

"Nice outfit."

I frowned, because the Givenchy skirt and Yves Saint Laurent blouse were Bella Duval approved—which was really the highest compliment a person could receive—but then looked down at my bare feet. "Oh. I don't like heels."

"I know you don't."

"What are you doing here?" I smiled. Those grays never ceased to startle me, to throw me off my game just a tad when I looked into them.

"I need an excuse to come visit you?"

A smile pulled on my lips as I caught my hands behind my back and leaned in. "Never. I'm so happy you're here."

He chuckled, pressing his lips to mine before catching my bottom lip in his straight teeth. I hissed in pain, and then tried to frown but what was the use? He knew I liked that kind of pain.

"For transparency, I did come here for a purpose," he murmured against my mouth and then pulled a paper bag from behind him. I squealed.

"You're an enabler, pretty boy. I swear, I'd be twenty pounds lighter if I didn't know you," I laughed, grabbing Mario's from his hand, only the best pizza in the world.

"Then I wouldn't be able to do this," he chuckled, grabbing my ass. I yelped but was honestly way too hungry to even chide him for it.

I perched on my desk while he sat in my chair, as we ate lunch together, talking about everything under the sun. I loved that he talked to me. Loved that he told me about his day and opened up to me as much as he could without the risk of me ever getting in trouble for it. He'd never allow anything to hurt me.

He talked to me all the time. In the mornings, when he woke me up with kisses down my neck and asked me what my day looked like, when he called me as I was driving back home because he missed me too much, to even wait until I got home, and at night when we laid together, just talking.