Chapter 38: Falling I(ll)n Love

Ariadne

The six of us had become closer than we ever had.

Francis made sure he could be free for us because he was usually busy saving the world from horrible people, Damon did cut down on his late night whatever-the-fuck-he-did, and while Christian was still almost always glued to his phone writing emails or taking calls, he did make a conscious effort to limit himself when he was around us.

It was especially good that we all spent time together because Dean and Robyn were on the rocks, so she couldn't wallow in misery alone because she was surrounded by people who loved her all the time. I wondered if their troubles were solely because Dean was being an inattentive boyfriend or because she was definitely in love with my brother for years and those feelings never went away.

Watching Christian and Damon interact was a painkiller. They'd always been best friends and hung out all the time for our whole lives but seeing them now filled me with so much ecstasy. They were still dressed in suit pants and dress shirts but had their sleeves rolled up and collar buttons undone for once. They looked relax, calm, and happy. Being surrounded by the people I loved was intoxicating.

Robyn caught me staring at the two of them laughing and playfully insulting one another across the room after dinner one night and squeezed my hand. "Is my brother treating you well?"

"Not to be cheesy, but he treats me like a princess."

Her laugh was filled with joy. "I expect nothing less from him."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"How long have you been in love with my brother?" I asked her softly.

The playfulness in her expression fell, as guarded walls built up before her blue eyes. Nervously, she looked down at her hands in her lap before she said, "Since the first time I met him."

The tangible pain made my chest constrict. Robyn was perfect for Christian. She was the only one who could ever understand him, control his temper, soothe his anger. She kept him sane for years, never ever backed down even when he was at his absolute worst and was always there for him with a smile and a gentle hand through his hair.

Francis was right: they were soulmates.

The only person who could bring Christian Ryder down from the skies–who could make this immortal God human again–was wrapped in sunflower print dresses and held his soul in her paint stained hands.

But that wasn't my story to tell.

Mine, on the other hand, was unfolding with a mob boss who was slowly driving me crazy.

Time flew when I was with Damon.

He was everything, even if a man like him brought all kinds of speculation and attention.

For the first time in my life, I didn't seem to mind it. It was alright that people saw me strolling down the street or shopping, holding hands with Damon. It was alright that pictures of us eating pizza at Mario's at 3 AM dominated tabloids for a week–with the added advantage that Mario's business was booming on its own. It was alright that nurses and doctors alike drooled over him out the hospital windows just to get a glance at Damon when he came to pick me up, looking like a dangerous drug you just had to try.

I also relented to having security with me when I was out in public, for Damon's peace of mind against his enemies, namely the Giovannis. There had been a couple times where I thought someone was looking at me for a beat too long, or a suspicious car behind me but I dismissed the notion immediately. Being under Damon's protection gave me a dangerous feeling of immortality.