Chapter 26: A Sister's Dilemma

Ariadne

Apologies weren't really my favorite thing in the world, but when Robyn came over ten minutes after I called, the words rushed out of me before I could even think about it. She didn't think twice before accepting.

"Have you talked to him? Since that night?" She asked, pain in her eyes.

I'd been wavering between calling Damon since my conversation with my brother, but I was too afraid of what I was going to hear. Fully aware of the feelings I now had for this man, I knew I needed to be a lot more careful around him.

"It was just a kiss. It's no big deal," I lied, because living in this lie was so much easier than facing the truth.

She swallowed. "You know, your whole life, you've never really cared what my brother thought of you. Which is fine, but you have no idea what that does to him. He said a stupid thing, and I made sure he knew it. You can't understand how terrified he is about getting close to people–it's a lot for him."

"I don't want another person in my life who treats me like he doesn't want me. I don't want another man who thinks I'm a mistake. I've gotten used to my dad, but if it came from Damon too, I don't think I could handle it."

She smiled sadly. "You think he doesn't want you?"

I bit my lip, holding back tears and nodded slowly. She pulled me into a hug and I nestled my face into her shoulder. The scent of berries and cinnamon enveloped me. I'd never felt quite so comforted in my life. Robyn was the opposite of her brother—she was a caregiver, the kindest, most gentle soul I'd ever known.

"I can't even begin to tell you how much you're wrong," she whispered into my hair. "Please just talk to him."

My throat was tight when I nodded.

She squeezed my hand and said, "Grazie. Now, tell me what you're wearing tonight."

When Robyn called for a girls' night, I was hesitant at first but Bella called and said, "You're coming," and that was pretty much the end of that. I wasn't entirely opposed–treating my inner wounds with alcohol seemed like a wonderful idea.

The entire time we got ready and pre-gamed like a bunch of college kids, I thought of Damon. I thought of how much I fucking missed him–not just since that night but for the last twenty-eight years. I thought of how he seemed to care about me well before I could even understand.

I thought about how he was the one who knew something was wrong with me, before anyone else in my life did.

And when I thought of all of that, I wondered how the hell I could ever think this man considered me a mistake.

Damon

Thank you for taking care of me. Don't worry about where last night leaves us. I know you have no interest in pursuing this anyway.

Guilt had been holding my throat in a vice grip for about a month now.

Pretty soon after I fucked up in monumental fashion, Bella showed up at my house to yell at me about what an idiot I was before listening to me vent to her for two hours.

I never liked to talk about anything, but Bella had a way of getting things out of you. You could tell her anything and she'd listen intently. She was good at the advice thing. She was, by far, one of the nicest people I knew, and I was incredibly grateful that she was still supportive of us despite everything. She was my best fucking friend and even though I'd hurt her sister, she still told me she loved me. It sounded like music to my fucking ears.