Chapter 1- Detention

a/n: make sure you always see when the povs change because it'll get confusing otherwise 😅 also anything that's italicised is a thought. ty.

nevilles pov

i stared at her from across the cold empty classroom.  she defended me against professor Snape when he started belittling me in potions class. she went too far (for Snape to handle, at least) and we both got detention for an hour after class.

shes so pretty, i don't care what anyone else thinks about her. wait, maybe I should care. her (hair length) (hair color) looks so soft and her (eye color) eyes are so pretty and seem to twinkle all the time. of course other people would like her, why wouldn't they? they're probably in her league too. i don't think she'd like someone like me, but what's the harm in dreamin-

"Mr. Longbottom. What seems to be the appeal with miss (y/l/n) that you cannot possibly keep your eyes off of her?" Snape hissed abruptly. I felt like i was going to be sick. Why would he say something like that in front of her? At least no one else was there besides us. I stayed silent and stared at my parchment. "Pity." he started. "Seems like you have no explanation? I have no choice then but to remove a point from Gryffindor." He went back to his reading with a small crooked smile on his face. I already knew she hated me. I would if I were her. First I got her in detention now I got points taken off our house. I felt like I was going to be sick. Tomorrow is a new day at least.

Y/N's pov

tick tock tick tock. tick tock. tick. tock.

The clock seemed to be ticking for what seemed like eternity. I had to write "I will not talk back again" on a piece of parchment at least 300 times. And I couldn't use magic or anything. Just an old quill. I looked back at Neville, who was stuck in detention with me. He immediately looked down. I got him stuck in this stupid detention with me, so he's obviously mad. Damn it, Snape. I returned to writing my sentences.

I stared at the clock once more. 20 minutes left. I couldn't stand it. Every minute in that room felt like a year. I was done with my sentences so what was there to do? I played with my fingers a bit and got lost in my thoughts until out of nowhere Snape snapped at Neville "Mr. Longbottom. What seems to be the appeal with miss (your last name) that you cannot possibly keep your eyes off of her?" I felt my face go red. I turned around and tried to catch his eye but he was looking down again as the wicked professor took a point off Gryffindor. Was he really that mad at me? I frowned and glared at Professor Snape. This was all his fault.

After 15 minutes, Snape told us "Miss (your last name) and Mr. Longbottom, I'm going to have to sorrowfully let you go as your detention time has ended. But if you ever dare answer me defiantly again, you will earn yourself a weeks worth of it." He hadn't even moved at all. I nodded just so I could leave. Neville quickly rushed out of the room before I could look at him. Frowning, I ran after him. "Neville!" I called, but it appeared he didn't hear me. "N-Neville!" I yelled once more. He was now rushing up the moving staircases. I kept trying to catch up to him but it was no use. He was two flights ahead of me and the stairs kept changing as well, so it was too difficult to get near. I eventually gave up and walked at my own pace. Dinner was in two hours so I could get started on my homework as I waited.

I stepped inside the library and found Hermione and Harry in there talking about Ron. Apparently Ron and Harry had gotten into a fight about the Triwizard Tournament and the whole school knew about it. I sat down next to them. "hey guys." I sighed. "Hi y/n. Did you finish detention with Snape?" Hermione asked. I nodded, "yeah. i really hate him." "Don't we all?" harry mumbled. I smiled and took out parchment to begin my History of Magic essay. We had to write about the goblin rebellions of the eighteenth century almost every week and it was getting quite boring.

Nevilles pov:

The moment Snape dismissed us I ran out the room. I heard y/n call after me but I wasn't gonna look back because of how embarrassed I was. I jumped onto a staircase which already started moving to make sure she wasn't after me anymore. Once i was sure she stopped, I rushed into the common room. "Balderdash" was the password. Seamus, Dean, and Ron greeted me from the couch. I took a seat and tried to act natural. "How was dentition?" Dean asked me. I shrugged. "Fine." They continued to talk to each other without me. I could've been invisible and there would've been no difference. I decided to start on my Herbology assignment. We had to list properties of and how to safely collect bubotuber pus. It seemed so easy, though everyone was struggling with it.

Two hours passed and it was dinner time. I walked behind Dean and Seamus to the Grand Hall. "Hey y/n!" Seamus called out. He sat across from her and Hermione with Dean. Ron decided to sit farther away since Harry was with them. I was debating if I would sit with Ron or the others. "Neville!" Y/N called out . I gulped and walked over to her. She moved to make room for me. "Sit with us." she offered. Did she forget earlier? I assumed so and sat with her. "Erm..hi." I smiled. The plates and food appeared in front of us and everyone began eating. I grabbed some chicken and vegetables and glanced over at Harry. He seemed quite stressed about the tournament. He didn't know what the first challenge even was. I felt sort of bad for him. If it was me who was mysteriously selected, I know I would have been crying now.

"Hey Neville...about the detention with Snape, why'd you run away from me? I assume it was because you couldn't hear me calling but..." Y/N asked me. I lightly coughed on the broccoli i was swallowing. "Ah, um, yeah I c-couldn't hear you. Sorry."  I made sure not to look at her directly. "Oh. Um, alright then. Anyhow, do you want to come with me to the lake tomorrow? I wanted to look at some of the plants on the lake floor for extra credit in Herbology and i don't think I'll be able to classify all of them alone." I felt my face get red. She wanted to go with me? "S-sure. I was actually going to go there myself for the same reason!" I responded. However, the last part was a lie.