Chapter 5-Dance Practice

y/n pov:

I decided to sit with Ginny at breakfast. Grabbing a bowl of cereal, I started to talk with her about the Ball rumors. "If it does happen, how old do you reckon you'll have to be to get in?" she asked. "I hope it's open to the whole school. If that isn't the case, it might only be open to seventh years."
"What about Harry?"
"They'll make an exception or something."
"Probably."
Out of nowhere, Ron came to our side of the table holding frilly dress robes. "Ginny, these must be for you." he concluded. She stared at it up and down and snickered "I'm not wearing that, it's ghastly." Hermione abruptly began giggling. "They're not for Ginny, they're for you!" Almost everyone in the Grand Hall was laughing. I couldn't help myself either. Those robes were a little ugly. I then came to the realization that if he was sent dress robes, there was going to be a ball. My cheeks became tinted pink at the thought of dancing with Neville.

A few hours later, we were all led into a hall by Professor Mcgonnagal and Filch. The girls sat on one side and the boys sat on the other. While Filch was trying to get a record player to work, Mcgonnagal explained the ball to us,"The yule ball has been a tradition of the tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representitives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the yule ball is first and foremost... a dance."

Groans emerged from most of the boys who were listening on. The girls seemed
a lot more excited. I smiled when I noticed Neville glance over at me. But I couldn't possibly dance with him.

Mcgonnagal silenced the room and said something about... baboons? I'm not sure, I wasn't listening too well as I was thinking about Neville. However, my attention was brought back when Ron got up from his spot and was forced to demonstrate the dance with the Professor. A wolf whistle came from the crowd and everyone giggled.  "Everybody come together." she ordered. The girls were almost all out of their seats instantly, while the boys stayed seated. "Boys, on your feet." Mcgonnagal demanded. Still, no one got up except for Neville. Then they finally one by one started pairing with the girls. I scanned the room for someone to dance with. There was no way I was going to dance with him. Not now, at least. I was too nervous for that. A tall Gryffindor boy who I had never met came up to me and asked to dance. I hesitantly agreed but almost immediately regretted it when I saw the look on Nevilles face. He was walking in my direction but stopped when I paired up with that boy. He turned around and looked for someone else to dance with.

The boy kept stepping on my feet and didn't even apologize once. I was glancing over at Neville often, who was also dancing with a person he's never met. I felt remorseful.

After practice, my toes were sore and aching. The girls, however, were practically screaming from their excitement. 

"Should I ask him or will he ask me?"

 "When will I pick out a dress?" 

"What if I don't get a date?"

"I hope this guy asks me."

Everyone was talking to their friends with great enthusiasm. I even overhead a few conversations from the boys about who they'd ask. Ginny strolled over to me. "So are you gonna ask him?" I looked at her confused. "Oh come on, you know who i'm talking about. I heard from Ron that Neville said you were out of his league and he couldn't ask you." I froze in the middle of the corridor. "What?" She shrugged,"You know how he is." I shook my head. "Why would he think that?" I walked with Ginny to the common room. I'm such an idiot. He probably thinks i'm not even interested. I sat in an armchair and took out a few of my books. I tried focusing but it was too difficult. All I could think about was what Ginny told me. "So are you saying that he's not willing to ask me anymore because I danced with someone else?" 

"No, no. He doesn't feel like he's worthy to ask you at all. He thinks you're too good for him."

"But i'm not!"

Hermione walked into the room just as I said the last bit."Are you talking about Neville? I heard that he doesn't want to ask you to the ball because you-" she tried informing me, but I cut her off,"I know why, Ginny told me."I felt dismal. "What if I ask him, then?" Ginny laughed at that. "You wouldn't be able to ask him even if you tried, and you know it." I sighed because I knew she was right. I don't think I could pick up the courage. Now what? I looked at Hermione to see if she had any ideas. She was busy writing something down. I turned my head and gazed into the fireplace. This is great, absolutely wonderful.

Nevilles pov:

I woke up feeling extra groggy. People were asking each other to the ball and I was still alone. I cant ask y/n, she'll definitely reject me. Then again, even if she didn't, I would embarrass myself at the ball. But she's so pretty...

I got lost in my thoughts for a while. I felt my face flush realizing I was thinking about y/n so much. I caught myself staring at her during class often as well. I couldn't help it, even if I wasn't going to ask her. Maybe we could go as friends though?

At dinner, I sat with Ron, Harry, Dean, and Seamus. It was a horrible idea however, because they were all pressuring me to ask y/n. "I don't even know what to say." I sighed. "Flatter her, girls like that" Harry told me.
"Tell her you like her hair." Ron added.
"Tell her you like the way she parts her hair." Seamus chimed in.
"In fact, tell her you like all her parts." he teased. They all snickered and I felt my face get red,"Oh no, I can't say that." They sat there giving me more ideas until they got tired and gave up on me.

After dinner, I made up my mind. I went to the library and found Ginny there with Hermione. I knew no one had asked her yet. I think I could go with her as friends. "Hi, Ginny. Uhm, I was uh, wondering if you'd like to go to the yule ball with me?As friends, of course, I don-" She looked over at Hermione, who nodded and whispered something to her. Ginny smiled at me and accepted. "Of course." Well, that takes care of that. I now have a date.

a/n: don't worry that you didnt get to have neville as your date. the yule ball is the next chapter and i have a surprise for you :)