Chapter 15- The Inquisitorial Squad

Umbridge began questioning students privately in her room. We think it's because she knows something about the D.A. People would come out of her room quiet as if she had drained all their energy. I was to be interrogated soon, so I made sure to have an answer for every possible question she would ask. "y/n. Please step into my room." Nervously, I walked into her pink lacey room and took a seat. She offered me tea, to which I refused (who knows what she put in there?).

"Now...Do you have any knowledge about any...meetings of some sort?" she asked eerily. I shook my head. She turned her back on me and stared at a portrait on the wall, "You do know these sorts of meetings can get you expelled. And if you're lying to me, you will suffer a worse punishment. Do you understand?" She turned back around and smiled at me. I nodded once again. Her pudgy body made its way behind me and she whispered in my ear, "I don't think you do. I will still let you go, but once I figure out what you're hiding, I'll be sure to penalise you. You may leave." I quickly ran out of the room, proud of myself for not saying a word to her. She definitely suspects something, I'll have to let Harry know.

We were in another D.A meeting. I was trying to help Neville learn Expelliarmus better, but he just didn't seem to improve from the time I helped him in the common room. Harry came around to check up on us. He noticed Neville fail and gave him advice, "Focus on a fixed point. Try again."  He tried again desperately but it still didn't work. He sighed and seemed as if he was ready to give up. I patted him on the shoulder in an attempt to console him. He managed a quick smile at me but was still visibly upset.

Harry walked over to the other side of the room, where Cho was raising Nigel in the air using a complicated spell. He "helped" her by holding her hand and moving it to a better position. Smooth, Potter. I turned back to Neville and suggested we move on to a different spell. "Try Stupefy again. You were pretty good at it last time." He hesitated, "What if I hurt you again?" I pointed behind him to a test dummy, "Try on that." He attempted a few tries, but none of them were as good as last time. "You're doing pretty well with this one, Nev. Good job." He smiled shyly and continued trying the spell.

After the meeting, I pulled Harry aside and told him about Umbridge, "She's onto us, Harry. She's going to do everything in her power to try to catch us, even if other students are involved." He was staring behind me as if he was thinking about what I just told him, "Alright..is there any way we can get in and out more discreetly?" I didn't know, so I stayed quiet. He sighed and said, "It's fine, she won't catch us. Thanks for the heads up." He then left the room, leaving me and Neville in there alone. He slowly reached his hand out for me to hold. We walked out the Room together from the back, making sure no one saw us. "Let's go to the library. I need to check out a book for a transfiguration assignment," I said. He followed me around without question. As we passed by the Great Hall, we noticed another new educational decree. Neville stopped before me to read it, "Those wishing to join the Inquisitorial Squad for extra credit may sign up in the High Inquisitor's office...what? What's this for?" I took a look at it myself and widened my eyes when I realized, "Hold on. I think she made this group to catch the D.A in the Room of Requirement. She was questioning me about it today!" He looked at me in shock, "She knows about the D.A?" I quickly answered back, "No, no. She has her suspicions. We should be more careful." 

We turned around to head to the library but found Umbridge in our path. She separated us once more as she walked past. I glared at her and held his hand again when she was out of sight. Still hate her. 

The next day at breakfast, Draco and his friends, along with a few other people, were wearing some kind of new badges. When asked about them by Seamus, they laughed. Draco scoffed at him, "The Inquisitorial Squad, you milksops. Only the most trusted at Hogwarts get them." I cackled at his comment, "By trusted do you mean snitches? Because your whole little "squad" is just a bunch of tattletales who tell Mommy Umbridge everything." There were snickers coming from the Gryffindor table. Draco sneered, "No, trusted. Though, I doubt you'd know anything about trust, y/l/n. Your parents probably hate you. Especially your filthy muggle mum. I heard she wanted to leave you after figuring out you were a witch." I was a bit shocked at how far Draco was willing to go to insult a person, but then again, it was Draco. "Oh, a little cheeky today Malfoy? You trying to have a go?" I threatened. Neville shook my arm to try to get me to stop, but I was heated. I performed a quick spell to make him break out in boils. I finished my breakfast and left the Hall before he realized I did it.

After classes, we met in the Room of Requirement again. We were each assigned a person to practice our spells with while Harry gave a little speech, "Working hard is important, but there's something that matters even more: Believing in yourself."

"Think of it this way. Every great wizard in history has started out... as nothing more than what we are now, students. If they can do it, why not us?"

He then came around to mentor us. I was practicing with Luna this time and watched Neville from afar. He was getting better by the day, I was so proud. Padma and Parvati were taking turns practicing with him and seemed to be getting a little bored. Please don't give up on him. "Are you alright?" Luna asked, "You seem to be lost in thought." I smiled at her. She's very considerate. "Yeah. Just a bit worried about Neville." She looked over to where I was looking, and as if by magic (haha) he yelled, "Expelliarmus!" and disarmed Parvati quite quickly. Luna looked back at me, "He seems to be doing fine." I laughed and ran up to hug him, "Good job, Neville! I'm so proud of you!" There was a crowd forming around him-I guess they saw it too. People were congratulating him and patting him on the back He seemed excited to finally get it right. Even Harry was happy for him.

"So that's it for this lesson. Now, we're not gonna be meeting again until after the holidays, so just keep practicing on your own as best you can," Harry announced. I walked out of the room with Neville and Luna, leaving just Harry and Cho in there. Wonder if he'll ask her. 

"So, how do you spend your holidays, Luna?" We were walking in the direction of both the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw common rooms. "With my father," she answered in her soft voice, "It's always just him and I." I frowned a little, "Oh, I'm sorry." She looked at me weirdly, "What for?" I shrugged as we turned the corner, "Well, I just assumed your mother is uh...you know." "Ah. Yes, she is. No need to be sorry, it's not your fault you know, " she said in a serious tone. I didn't question her anymore in an attempt to change the topic of the conversation, "...What about you, Neville? With your Grandmother again?" He sighed, "Yeah...Actually, she wanted me to ask you this, I completely forgot, Do you want to spend Christmas with us? It's completely fine if you don't want to, just an option. I know you have your own family, too, and-" I cut him off, "Oh, please. Listen, Christmas with my family is always a nightmare. Someone always ends up crying, and that someone is usually me. I'll just tell my mum I'm spending Christmas with my boyfriend, she can't say no."

a/n: forgot to leave an author's note, whoops. anyway, its been a while since ive done a neville pov, should i do one or just leave it like this?