Chapter 12-Mimbulus Mimbletonia

I got off the train and stretched my legs-I was asleep almost the whole way because of how tired I was. I couldn't find Neville anywhere, and I wasn't able to locate him in the train either. From the corner of my eye, however, I noticed Harry, Ron, and Hermione walking over to the carriages. I stormed over to them and demanded to know why they hadn't responded to me all summer. "Uh, I'll explain later," Hermione said hesitantly. Harry and Ron both looked a little uncomfortable. Suddenly, Malfoy and his friends came up to us and started picking on Harry, "Suppose the Ministry is still letting you walk around free Potter? Better enjoy it while you can, I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it." 

Harry was held back by Ron when he tried attacking him. Malfoy mumbled something and Harry yelled at him, "Just stay away from me!" Ron whispered,"It's only Malfoy, what'd you expect?"
"Why would he say that? What does he mean by the ministry letting you walk free?" I inquired. None of them answered me.

We stood waiting for a carriage to take us to the school. Neville walked up to us holding the Mimbulus Mimbletonia he told me about, "Hey guys."  They greeted him back while I immediately hugged him, "Where have you been? I couldn't find you anywhere on the train!" He got a little nervous, "I'm sorry! I couldn't find you either." I sighed and hugged him tighter, "Whatever, it's fine. You're here now, aren't you?"
Ron was snickering. I turned my head and glared at him, "Have you got something to say?" He shook his head and instantly stopped laughing. I think he's too scared to make fun of me after that time in Hogsmeade.

A large carriage pulled up behind us and Harry stared at it for a second. "What is it?" 

"What's what?"

 "That. Pulling the carriage." He was pointing at nothing. 

"Nothing's pulling the carriage, Harry. It's pulling itself, like always." Suddenly a pale blonde girl inside the carriage assured him, "You're not going mad. I can see them too. You're just as sane as I am." They gave each other quick glances and decided to sit in the carriage with her. I joined them. 

"Everyone this is Looney Love-" Hermione began.
The poor girl looked over at her.  Is Hermione serious? "...Luna Lovegood."
There was an awkward silence for a moment, I decided to break it by saying, "Well that was a bit rude." to Hermione. She was red in the face and stayed quiet. They were all avoiding looking at Luna. Eventually, Hermione tried complimenting her to make up for it,"What an interesting necklace." Luna looked at it and said in her soft voice, "It's a charm actually." She leaned in and whispered, "Keeps away the nargles." I didn't know what a nargle was, but I still told her that the charm was cool and I wanted one for myself. She seemed happy that someone seemed to believe nargles were real and agreed to get me one when she could.

We sat down in the great hall, I sat across from Neville. Dumbledore began his speech as soon as everyone was settled in, "We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... Professor Dolores Umbridge."
A short plump woman who was wearing all pink sat at the teacher's table. She smiled eerily.  Harry whispered to us, "She was at my hearing. She works for Fudge." What? "What hearing?" I asked. The three of them looked at me and Harry just said, "Nevermind." What are they hiding?

The woman kept interrupting Dumbledore as he spoke. "Ahem," she would cough. He gave up and let her speak, "And how lovely to see all your bright... happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." No one was smiling at all.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged.

Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

This lady doesn't seem so nice.

Later in the common room, everyone was reading the Daily Prophet about Harry and gossiping to each other. I sat with Neville at a table. "I don't believe the Prophet. My dad, though, he's eating it all up. Just take a look at this rubbish," I pointed out the title to him, "Plotter? Really?" He agreed and said neither he nor his Gran believed it either.

 People were staring at Harry as he entered the common room. "Dean. Seamus. Good Holiday?" he asked in an effort to break the tension. Dean nodded at him, "All right. Better than Seamus's anyway." Seamus set the paper on the table in front of him and got up, "Me mum didn't want me to come back this year."
"Why not?" Harry asked. Seamus glared at him, "Let me see uh...Because of you. The Daily Prophet's been saying a lot of things about you and Dumbledore." Harry scoffed at that, "What, your mum believes them?" They began arguing as Ron entered and broke up the fight, "Anyone else got a problem with Harry?" he asked. When no one said anything, they left. Neville spoke up, "My gran says it's the Daily Prophet's that's rubbish." he looked at Seamus dead in the eyes and said, "She's canceled our subscription." I smiled. He's gained a bit of confidence, has he? "I agree. If you lot still believe it, I think you've got bigger problems than how your holiday was." Seamus scowled and went to go sit with Dean again. 

"Don't tell me you believe the ministry." I told Parvati in the Dorms as we were catching up, "Have you taken a good look at the Prophet?" She sighed and continued to unpack her bags, "Listen, I don't know who we can trust right now. The world is getting scarier every day. I was almost banned from attending Hogwarts ever again by my parents." I thought about her first comment. She's right. We really can't trust anyone right now.  What is the fate of the Wizarding World?

 "Anyway," Lavender interrupted, "Are you and Neville like, you know?" I blushed, "What are you on about?" She giggled, "Everyone knows you two are together now, you make it so obvious. Everywhere you go, you're with each other." I smiled. It's true, we've been spending a bit of time together. Was it actually that obvious, though? I laid on my bed and sighed. "I can't argue with you, Lavender." 

...

We sat in our Defense Against the Dark Art's class. Padma put a charm on an origami bird to fly around the class. It was quite amusing watching it go around and have people try to catch it. Crabbe actually managed to hit it with a rubber band.

Our fun was very quickly put to a stop as our new professor, Umbridge, burned it with her wand from behind us. She was still smiling. "Is it just me or is her smile a bit off?" I whispered to Neville. He nodded and hit me gently with his elbow as she was about to notice me speaking. 

Umbridge was giving us a lecture about the OWLs and how we would study for them. When Hermione noticed there was nothing in our textbooks about using defensive spells, she laughed. "Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom!" Ron and Harry began questioning her. "And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry demanded to know. He brought up Voldemort and Neville looked down at his parchment in thought. There were whispers going around the room. She ordered him to stop telling lies and eventually ended up giving him a detention.

I hate this woman.

a/n: So sorry for not posting in a while! I've been very busy with school lately. I promise I'll try to post more often. Also what should Neville's nickname for you be? I was thinking like Sunflower or something like that but u can leave suggestions.

also alternative meeting luna scene cuz hermione was kinda a bitch :

"Everyone this is Looney Love-" Hermione began.
The poor girl looked over at her. Is Hermione serious? "...Luna Lovegood." 

"Looney? Did I hear that right?" I yelled at Hermione, " Everyone this is Mudbloo- oh sorry, I meant Hermione pick me Granger." Her mouth was gaping open and so was everyone else's. Luna was smiling and thanked me for my noble work. Neville laughed and said, "She's right, you are a pick me." Hermione started crying and ran off into the forest, never to be seen again. The school thanked me for my doings and I was called the new chosen one. the end. HELP EJEJKWWK guys it's 3 am when im writing this i'm delusional