14|| Memories

A/N: here's chapter 14. Enjoy, people.

Iris was fine when she went back to class.

She was fine when Aiden asked if she was okay.

She was fine when the West-Brown boys said they had some clubs after school, and if she would be okay with waiting.

Sitting on the middle bench of the bleachers, the cold metal dug harshly into her skin and she drew her jacket tightly around her body as the wind picked up, but she was still fine.

"Do you want to borrow my jacket?" Oscar had offered with a slightly worried frown, already halfway taking it off.

"I'm fine." Iris had smiled, her chest a hollow cavity that ticked in time to her chaotic thoughts.

Now, she glanced at the surrounding fields with the biting wind nipping her cheeks and causing them to flush. Her eyes blearily scanned the fields, lips quirking in a reluctant smile as she saw some of the West-Browns practicing. It reminded her of better days- when she used to sit, wrapped up in a thick coat and colouring books at hand at Mathematics or Sport competitions.

That was back when her mother was alive.

Sucking in a sharp breath, Iris plugged in her headphones and listened to silence as a wave of memories washed over her.

"Iris! Where are you?" Elise sang, grinning as she saw her daughter curled up behind a wall and stifling her giggles.

She'll never find me here! Iris had thought, resting her chin on her knees.

"Is she over here?" Elise exaggeratedly picked up a cloth and checked under it, much to the delight of the little girl. "Or is she over here?" She checked behind the lamp, a faux thoughtful expression on her face.

"Hey Elise! What's going on?" Harry emerged, smiling easily with his hands tucked in his pockets.

Dad! Iris thought, about to launch herself at him, but she managed to restrain herself in time- not wanting to give away her master hiding place.

"I see you've let yourself into my home DeLano. Thanks."

"No problem. You have good food. What's going on?"

"I'm looking for Iris--"

"IRIS IS MISSING?" Harry frantically took out his phone and dialled a number. "I want at least three groups out looking--"

"DeLano, chill. We're playing hide and seek." Elise dropped her voice to barely above a whisper at the next part and Iris was unable to hear no matter how hard she strained her ears.

A sudden silence descended across the room. Squirming for a few minutes, she poked her head up and was startled to find the room empty. Have they left me? She thought with a slight frown.

"Here she is!" A voice cried and Iris was launched in the air, squealing as her mother attacked her with tickles. Harry videoed the entire thing, a wide smile spreading across his face.

********

A warm hug enveloped Iris as she shivered from her fever, pain flaring across her entire body. Elise pressed a kiss to her forehead and murmured sweet words of encouragement and love. Hours passed and her grip never wavered until the fever subsided.

********

I miss you Mum... why did you have to leave me?

Was it my fault?

Did I do something that made you want to leave?

I promise I'll be better.

Just... please come back.