4|| Awkward

A/N: Here's chapter 4. Enjoy, people.

"Harry!" Iris called, a wide grin stretched across her face.

"Ree-ree!" Harry exclaimed in the same tone, tucking his sunglasses in the front pocket. He shoved past the boys and engulfed Iris in a hug. "I'm so sorry to hear what happened..."

Tears pricked the corner of Iris's eyes and she buried her face in the crook of his neck. Harry was the first person to sincerely sympathise with her. He was the only one who could truly understand her pain.

David cleared his throat, but the duo ignored him.

"When we get out of here." Harry ducked his head, green eyes filled with warmth. "You, me and Jax will go out for some ice cream and cry over sad movies, okay?"

Iris smiled. "That sounds great."

David stood abruptly. "No! Iris will not be going anywhere with you."

Harry chuckled, a sound devoid of any warmth. "And who are you to stop me?"

Iris raised a brow. "Do I get a say in it?"

"Yes, you do." Lisa stood, glaring at her husband. "David, what is the matter with you?"

"In that case, I want to stay with Harry," Iris responded immediately. "Well, that was quite easy-"

"But, Riss- Iris," Brandon hastily corrected himself. "Why don't you want to stay with us?"

"Because you're nothing more than strangers to me," Iris replied coldly, shoving her hands deep into her pockets and stepping out into the hallway. A sharp pain stabbed her chest, but she pushed it deep down.

"Iris, please, take a moment to consider–" Elijah begged.

"You had nine years."

"Sorry?"

"I said," Iris gritted her teeth together, barely containing the urge to strangle her brother. "You had nine years. Nine years to contact me. Nine years to step into the role of a happy family. Why do you want me back only now?"

"We're family," Brandon protested weakly.

Iris laughed, a dark sound that seemed to cause the temperature of the room to drop a few degrees. "The final tie to this family died this morning. Now, I hope we never cross paths again-"

"Wait!" David burst out. "Don't you- don't you want to find out what happened to Elise?"

Before Iris could react, Harry had grabbed David by the collar, face hardened with a deadly anger.

"Don't you dare say her name from that filthy mouth of yours," he hissed, green eyes burned brightly. "You could never dream of being even half  the person she was!"

David flinched, but regained his composure. "How about we make a deal?"

"How about we don't?"

"Harry." Iris gently rested her hand on his arm. "Let him speak. You only taught me to listen to good deals."

Harry didn't move for a minute. Then he sighed and slowly released David, but rage still radiated off him.

Oh no. Iris thought. Will I have to prevent a murder today?

"I am only listening to you because Iris said so," Harry declared primly. "But one wrong move and I won't hesitate to go back on my word."

"Wonderful!" Lisa interjected with a bright smile, flashing a warning look at her husband. "Boys, why don't you get some tea and biscuits for our guests? We can discuss this in the living room."

****

Iris thought the most awkward moment of her life was the car ride with Elijah.

She was wrong.

Being sandwiched between her brothers and step-brothers, seeing her biological and non-biological father stare each other down while her step-mother desperately tried to be a mediator was so much worse.

"This tea is amazing, Lisa," Iris complimented. "Before we leave, can I please have the recipe?"

"If you leave," Elijah interjected.

"Is your name Lisa?"

"I- no-"

"Then stay quiet." Iris sipped her tea.

Harry smiled proudly. I raised that kid, his expression seemed to say.

"Thanks for the compliments, Iris," Lisa replied, highly amused at seeing her stepson deflate like a balloon."But the credit goes to Will."

Iris leaned forwards to look at Will, whose nose was diligently stuck in a book. He raised his head at his name and adjusted his black glasses. "Sorry what?"

"Will, sweetie, do you mind taking a stab at being social please?"

"If I must." He sighed, closing his book and turning to Iris. "Hey."

"Hi," Iris said awkwardly. "Lisa says you made the tea?"

"Yeah...A friend of mine is Indian and she taught me how to make it."

"Oh nice."

"Yeah."

Much worse than the car ride. Iris thought as a heavy silence ensued.

The clock ticked on, but David and Harry seemed to be locked in a sort of testosterone battle. Neither were willing to back down, no matter how uncomfortable everyone else felt.

"Well..." Iris exhaled a puff of air, swirling the dregs at the bottom of her cup. "Lovely weather we're having today."

Julian eagerly grabbed on the lifeline for a conversation. "Yeah! I hear it's gonna be quite cold later in the week though."

"Oh really? Then I guess I'll have to wear a thicker coat then."

"Yeah, same here!"

They both laughed but it trailed off into a pained groan and awkward glances away.

"This is actually getting ridiculous," Damien finally spoke up, leaning back deeper into the couch.

For once, Iris agreed with him. "Yeah. Harry, David, just start talking, please!"

"You're right." Harry sighed and brushed a lock of red hair away from his eyes. "I'll open the negotiations. Iris stays with us, you don't see her again, and this meeting ends with no bloodshed."

"Harry!" Iris admonished, although she privately agreed with this idea.

"I refuse," David said immediately. "How about Iris stays with us and you never see her again? That way, I won't have to have the carpet cleaned of your blood."

"Oh you have some nerve-"

"Say I have an idea," Lisa interjected, rage burning in her eyes. "Since you guys think Iris is an object, why don't we just chop her in half and give each bit to both of you?"

Iris raised her hand. "I would like to reject this plan."

David winced. "Sorry, Lisa-"

"You're absolutely right Mrs. West-Brown." Harry nodded, "We should be consulting Iris. Iris, who do you want to stay with?"

"With you, duh."

"Then that settles it, right?" Harry gave an over-exaggerated shrug. For a second, Iris was worried he would do something truly childish and stick his tongue out.

"If you go now, then you'll never find out what happened to your mother." David replied.

"I already know," Iris lied, "she killed herself."

David stared at her. "No, Iris, she was murdered."

********

*dramatic music*
*audience gasps*
*Shakespeare- king of family tragedies- rises from the grave* 

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)